Low oil alarm ?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by kickin_wing, Jul 2, 2007.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The other day i was running my boat and it was running good for about half the trip until one time i slowed down and then sped back up and an alarm went off and it wouldnt go fast anymore. It would just bog down and i couldnt go more than idle speed. I checked over everything and the only thing that i thought could be the problem was it was low on oil. It wasnt completely out but it was pretty low. So the next day i put more oil in it and it ran fine. Does my motor do this to protect itself or was it even an oil problem? Maybe i dont have the problem fixed and it just didnt act up yesterday? I have an 03 60hp yamaha 2 stroke.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    What does your owner's manual say about the alarms?

3. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I dont claim to be a boat motor mechanic I work on trains but I think i would disconnect the auto oiler and mix my own it doesnt take long to burn a motor up

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is the problem, i didnt get a manual with the boat. The alarm that went off was the same alarm for the trim.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Austin, What are we working on here. Some of the VRO's had a built in alarm to let you know when the oil was low. Without knowing what motor and year you have Its hard to guess at.

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had the year and motor in the first post, but if you missed it, it is an 03 60hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Thanks

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Being that its an 03 model Im going to say yes it is a low oil alarm and that is precisely what it is designed to do_Once the oil level falls below the preset level it reduces the engine rpm to just enough to get you to shore without burning the engine up..There is probably some kind of float or switch in the oil tank that triggers the alarm and rpm reducution.I have a 2000 Optimax and it has the same thing.Keep the reservoir full and you shouldn't have a problem.:smile2:

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a 99 Merc that has a low oil alarm on it. It is so loud and anoying that I keep a couple gallons under my seat. My tank hold a gallon of oil and it goes off when its down to a quart.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sorry about that austin I must be having one of those days.:crazy:

I would say you cured your problem. When the oil went down it went into slow mode.
    Those VRO'S are very dependable and have been since 1989 when they finaly got the bugs worked out. Trust you alarms and learn them and it could save you a power head. I would drain the oil from the tank at least once a year and clean the pick up real good and the tank of any foreign particles and then Take a large coffee filter and strain the oil before returning it to the tank. Slow process but well worth the hassel.

11. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for all the help, i learn something new evryday.:smile2:

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    HEY I call that good austin. I am 60 years young and I make it a point to learn something every day.