low light scope

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by Txhunter93, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Txhunter93

Txhunter93 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Does anyone know about a low light scope that has worked for them. I was hog hunting and I had a spotlight with a red filter and I could barely make out the hogs.

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The bigger the objective lens is the better the light gathering capabilities are, lens coatings also make a difference.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Low power and large objective lens will help, but nothing will make it easy to see black crosshairs on a black hog. It's a real problem, and I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has cracked this nut.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    An illuminated recticle may also help with contrast against a dark target.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Google "low light scope" and you will be reading for a year. ooks like bushnell may have a good one with an illuminating retical.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Trijicon comes to mind,Tho I think they may be out of most of our price range.

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Search ebay for low light, illuminated cross hair scopes. You can get one for cheap.
    Also keep the magnification turned as low as the scope will go, trying to use magnification makes it harder to see your target at night.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I can't comment on conventional scopes with illuminated reticles, but I have used Leopold's Gilmore, which is a red dot style sight. That one is too bright, and pretty well wipes out the target.