Low head dams?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FLATHEAD STEVE, Jul 18, 2008.

1. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I have a couple low head dams that I fish, both being pretty good size. I have seen flathead come out of both but not very often. I personally have fished one of these hundreds of times and not had one flathead come out yet:angry: I am almost constantly getting fish elswhere but I thought these lowheads were supposed to be great for flathead?.......Do any of you fish these things with success?

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i fish one and i think the trick is where at in the water they are at

sometimes in the next bend after the dam sometimes onder the concrete
    sometimes in the eddies around it
    try all and good luck

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I want to fully express my ignorance here... What is a lowhead damn?

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A lowhead dam is a concrete structure that the water falls over the top. If you look at my profile picture you'll see I'm parked on top of one. this dam has produced many flathead for us over the year. I think lowhead dams are the best flathead enviroment. they get caught trying to go upstream and stay there. During the day, we normally fish close the the wall where the water drops. (highly oxygenated water) but at night we'll move a couple of poles to the shallows in the rocks. You can fish these places for a week straight and not get a bite. then, one night they turn on and you catch up to 10 of them. do'nt try to figure it out. just go cast a big bluegill out in the white water and wait.....

5. tunnafish

tunnafish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We call them "low-head" dams on the small and medium sized waterways in central Ohio. There may be only a 4' to 6' difference in elevation between above and below the dam. There are a ton of them here in Columbus, Ohio. In fact, they're talking of removing many of them to allow the creeks to resume their more natural channels. Plus, they're considered "drowning machines". Several people drown yearly in the undertow below the dams, especially during spring, high-water. The water is rarely over one's head, but it's impossible to stand up and they're caught in a tumbling "washing machine" effect! Anyway, I'm anxious to get into flatheading and would like to give the dams a try, with safety in mind, of course.

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    we have a pretty big one here in st. louis call the (chain of rocks)
    I've seen alot of flatties caught right below it. My biggest flathead is 48lbs
    I had one over there that had to be at lease 50+. got him to the bank and my net man tried to put the net on top of him and knock the hook loose.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    very good post! I myself fish a few lowheads from time to time. Yes, at certain times of the year they can be very productive for flatheads, but I would like to emphasize the above, they are drowning machines, many look harmless and people even think they could swim away from some. But, the hydrolic effect is amazing! They are dangerous and should be looked at with respect! good post... reps. to ya. how bout an avatar now? ...rollo

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I could'nt agree more. the one we have on our river has killed so many people that they were gonna blow it up. our "scenic river" society saved it. when the water is low people walk on top of it. and fish below. I pull my boat right up to it and fish over it. when we catch them we get out and walk the dam to the edge with our fish. But a lot of people will walk back and forth on it with several inches of water flowing over. if it's ankle deep or more i wont get close to it. there was a log jam in the middle of it that people will sit on. one time there was a guy fishing on it and he disappeared. we thought he walked off to catch bait or something. we seen his tacklebox and poles propped up on it for some time. the next day we went back down there and his stuff was still there and there were divers looking for him. they found him and he was still in the whitewater against the dam. and there was only a few inches of water flowing over it. THEY ARE DANGEROUS ! I'll post some pic's of it the next time i go down there.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have my most sucess fishing the boils below lowhead dams. The water is very oxygenated and flatheads love the undercut of lowhead dams. You may get snagged up alot, but it's productive.

10. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i fish a low head almost every weekend on the great miami river and i think the key is having the livliest live bait as possible so that the flatheads can sence the bait even through the rough waters of the dam .:cool2:

11. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fish the low head dams fairly often as well. However, I never fish the white boiling water. I always like to fish the sides, or the area where the current is flowing up stream like a giant eddy. If there is a narrow spot downstream a little bit from the pool with fast water I will fish that too.

I got my first big flathead from a little low head dam!

12. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I think that may be the problem with mine, "it's very hard to fish the ends do to the popularity the dam has with all kinds of fisherman "OVER FISHED"... Oh well I think i'll just stick to my log jams:wink: