Love for N.C. Gas Tax

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JAYNC, Mar 20, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just read online somewhere that the gas average for the U.S. is $1.85. Well I am paying $2.54 here in eastern N.C. I just figured out that I pay $66 a tank but if I went by the U.S. average I would be paying $18 dollars less. I am seriously thinking about moving because this state is overtaxing. I dont even think I can afford to fish anymore since it would take almost $100 to fill up the truck and the boat. What is everyone paying where they live in N.C.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well gas in frederick MD today was anywhere from 2.54.9 to 2.63.9 then i went to PA to do so work and it was 253.9 in Greencastle. So you are right there was the rest of us. I haven't saw gas at 185.9 for over a year maybe you read and old avg. If not well is the 185 gas maybe i can go bring a load but

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    $2.49 here in Central Ohio brother, Gas Prices suck everywhere. Blaming possible Iraq Gas line bombings for increase now they said in the paper. Idiots.....

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    $2.65 for premium today.
    We are getting reamed on fuel tax and have been for years.
    They claim it is paying for all our nice roads BUT last year there was millions in unused gas tax surplus. Instead of returning it to the people via a tax cut or a break at the pumps, the squandered it over into the general fund.
    I'll say it again. Easely and those pork barrelling democrats in Raleigh must go!

If they need road money throw toll booths up at the Virginia and South Carolina borders on I-95. Let those passing through on our highways maintain them. Virginia had toll roads for years and evidently it paid off for them.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well as for an old average, I just read the article on cnn money today. Yeah I think it would be a great idea to put up tolls. I dont remember how many times I paid to travel on highway 77 in Virginia and West Virginia and they have really nice highways, it would be the same as N.C. concepts now, (They have to buy gas weather its $1.00 or $4.00). If they put in tolls you would have to pay it or drive all the way around N.C. I guess when you get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to run the government you dont care about gas prices, but its the normal people who get hurt. I dont know how people that make minimum wage can even drive. All I know is that if it doesnt change soon, they will crush this states economy because of all the people moving out including me.

6. Beagle

Beagle New Member

I hear your pain Jay.
    Still, there's not a lot of options as far as moving. I bet we're "stuck with ya":)
    Today on www.gasbuddy.com lowest five states were Utah(ain't goin there), Wyoming(I need salt water), Alaska(couldn't stand those long dark winters), Montana(Again for me, no salt water), New Jersey(no comment), Idaho(don't like potato's that much).
    Top 10 we don't even make. #12
    Actually, not takin any sides here, if you go to a cost of living calculator and punch in the price of gas in 1985 and compare to what that should be today it is right on the mark of what we are presently paying.
    Still doesn't make it any easier to pay.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i dont like the gas prices either but have you priced water in a store lately. it use to be free and we got plenty of it.

8. Carolina Reb

Carolina Reb New Member

State:
    Willow Springs
    Heard this morning that gas is so high because of additives in the fuel for emmisions..What a bunch of bull..

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Gas was 1.99 for about a day here in Mo.about a month ago....2.49 now(oh,forgot the 9/10 cent)

Next time you fill up,check the pump,it should list how much is state tax and how much is federal.

Try reading a phone bill,there are so many taxes listed on them......:mad: :mad:
    interstate,toll city,state ,federal,crosstown,access fee,etc.......

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I find very few pumps in NC with the taxes listed. That is by design of course.

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I liked the idea of toll roads too, until I bought a Semi. If states do set up toll roads, do you really think they'll lower taxes on fuel? C'mon it's the government and that's found money!

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sure it is found money IF there werent petitions floating around on the net and in print to repeal the gas taxes. But the way people have screamed about fuel taxes here if what you are talking about happened NC would forget Sherman's march in short order.

Toll roads are actually an option being considered and studied to repeal a large portion of the gas tax. Now you just got to get folks in office with half a brain for economics and a knack for bringing corporations into the state instead of chasing them out.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Great put the toll booths up on 77 and 95 and let the money roll in. Hey Mark, you want guys with a 1/2 a brain for economics, all you got to do is elect you some Democrats ROTFLMAO ;)