Loup River Canal

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishjohn54, Jun 30, 2009.

1. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I heard a rumor there's really good catfishing at the confluences of the Loup River and the canal, in Columbus. Anyone fish there before?

2. subcook

subcook Member

State:
    Grand Island, Nebraska
    Are u talking bout the tail race outside of columbus? there is good fishing there when u can find the right spot. fished it once but I mainly fish around monroe and the headworks outside fullerton. but lately I've been catching small channels and drums but hopefully I find tem again soon I plan on trying out the tail race soon but gotta find time with the wife expecting and work. hope this lil bit helps

3. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Yes, the tailrace. Is it a strrong curewent there? Is there easy access to the place? Exactly where is the tailrace?

Congrats in advance on the expected baby!

4. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    there is usually alot of people there. it has some easy access spots but you have to get there early to get the spot.

5. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have never fished that area but me and a buddy have talked about it many times...just like you I don't know where the access is...I will be fishing the canal this friday but not that far down, probally around monroe and work our way back to headworks......and as far as the current goes you'll probally want your no roll sinkers......let me know how it goes

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I've fished the Loup Power Canal by Monroe and Genoa, because of hearing about the big Flatheads living there. Everybody should know the State Record Flathead was pulled out of there. 80lbs and change if my memory serves me correctly! I went with a couple of buddies and felt blindfolded not knowing the area, but had fun anyhow. This was a few years back. Didn't catch anything either. I remember the water had a very strong current. I agree with Frank on the NO-Roll sinker issue. Probably go with at least 5-8 oz. Not sure if the current flucuates that much or not.

Mark..

7. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for all of the responses, guys. I had a feeling it would be a popular sight. I am not sure I want to have to squeeze in to get a spot. I did that crap in Oregon with the salmon fishing. It got pretty silly. I usually hiked upriver and found my own fish. I think I may stick around Lincoln, or make a big trip to Kansas for some good blue cat fishing.

8. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    me and my son got out to headworks last nite........I think the flatheads are to busy to mess around with my bait but we got some channels....and it turned out to be all channel nite on the canal.....

Attached Files:

9. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    hey fmb, you using live bait or cut bait

10. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    both....:wink: hey I'm gonna be out at the canal TOMORROW all day...my bro in law is headed this way from hastings for an all day flathead quest....ANY TAKERS ?????:cool2: see ya there

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Nice cats Frank! Looks like the kids has a big Ol' smile on the face!! That's awesome!! Congrats to you and the boys!!

12. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    id say them are some nice cats!! aint nothin like having a nite when the good ones are biting with the kids out .. gets them all charged up and makes a great memory!!!!

13. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    looks a good time... i like the 84ish mustang in the back round even better:wink:

14. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well my bro in law and his 2 sons made it out this way....we were at headworks about 6:30am and fished till 4pm......well they got skunked....and I think the flatties are just to busy right now....I got 2 flatheads about 2lbs each.....both were caught on cut bullhead in DEEP water.......

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Frank!! Just a suggestion!! Might want to try the night bite and see what happens!! I would give that place a try around 9-12midnight and maybe hit it at 4:00am-6:00am in the morning! That might be some good times to slam a big-gun!! Congrats on your successful trip and hope to see ya at Calamus in a week!!:big_smile:

with the warmer temps now, I've had the best success at night now!!

Later bro!!

16. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well me and the family were going to harlan for the 4th but wife got called into work this morning.....so now were just gonna stay close to home and hit the canal again....I got a good vibe about tonite,taking the bbq,fireworks the hole nine yards....should be a great time....flathead quest 09' continues

17. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    lemme know how you did!

18. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    no fish not even a bite......but we had a perfect view of genoa's fireworks show so it still turned out to be a good time

19. subcook

subcook Member

State:
    Grand Island, Nebraska
    me and da wife hit up the tail race last night fished from 4pm till 5 am and we used gill, crawlers, livers, and large cheek chub. we had a lot of bites but they just killed the bait and left them. u only need between 5 and 8oz of weight depending on the time of day really we caught 3 channels the whole time. 2 under a pound by an once or 2 and one 2 or 3 pounder but other then that a slow day over all.

20. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yea it's slowed down alot out there.....I'm gonna take a week off and just bait fish to pass the time...