Loup Canal

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by fmb, May 31, 2010.

1. fmb

fmb Well-Known Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hey bros I just wanted to start a thread for the loup canal success reports, updates, anything and everything...

I'll start off with last nights catch...The little flatty is my bro in laws 1st flatty from the canal!!!! The rest are mine...

And last night we kinda had to many people out in our group with 4 trucks and a total of 10 people or so!!!!! And I realized why I normally fish alone!!!! To many people to please and no one is ever happy!!!

Attached Files:

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    10 people all trying to fish together on the canal has to be a pain, what are you doing rolling with a posse now? LOL awesome! and great thread idea.

3. sattv

sattv New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I was happy :liquor:Frank clear your inbox it's full so I can't send pm's

4. fmb

fmb Well-Known Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yeah it was overall a great night....and the inbox is cleared out...

darren what time did you take off????

5. tightline_69

tightline_69 New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebra
    Those are some nice looking eaters. I am thinking about heading to Monroe later this week and fish the Loop Public Power Canal. Water is pretty fast there and with all the rain we have had should be a gusher. By the way Frank, anything good coming out of Hoard Lake these days or have they closed it off.

6. skerzfan

skerzfan Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    I'm going to try to make it up there later this week. I thought Wednesday, but I had my schedule mixed up. Probably Thursday if at all.

7. tightline_69

tightline_69 New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebra
    Hey Jeff, looks like we be neighbors. :drool:

8. fmb

fmb Well-Known Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Joe hoard lake isn't closed down. localy maintained and they will let you out there but they are picky and don't let the partiers stay very long. none of my friends fish it mostly just to test out changes in the boat.

9. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    me and the wifes cousin hit the canal last night. ended up with 5 fish. 4 flatheads and 1 channel. all about 5 pounds except one flathead which was 18 pounds so it was a good night for us.

10. skerzfan

skerzfan Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    Yup, another poor devil that has to do some drivin' to get to a fishing hole!

11. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    yup, we got zilch for decent water close by, hate to have to drive all the time, my two closest bigger water spots are lovewell in kansas at 50 miles from door to shore and the loup canal at about 70 miles, I usually don't go east to fish, too many people, and west is a long way to decent water.

12. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Yeah but at least you're closer than Grant NE. It sucked being the only one from western Ne when I was living out there. I grew up in Hastings by the way. I done did a lot of bad sh*t in that town and don't visit very often anymore although my dad still lives in Glenvil. But anyways welcome hastings fellas to the USCA

13. tightline_69

tightline_69 New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebra
    I might know your dad John, as the wife as I used to live in Glenvil a few years ago. The closest big water for me is Harlan if I am correct. 90 miles from door to shore as Don puts it.

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    A night at the canal with the son and nephew, did good, well at least one of us did. no pics of hunter with the fish, by the time we got home he refused to wake up for a photo shoot, just a leave me alone look was all I got.

Fanal tally was 7 flathead,1channel and one blue, two gallons of fillets, released another three small channels this morning and released three flatties last night. I have to say hunter had the hot spot and I got schooled. Not even one fish off my rods. we are eating the awesome belly meat steaks for lunch off the bigger flatties. only downside is I really screwed my back this morning lifting the stringer out of the water, I'm gonna regret that for awhile. woke up with 4 deer standing in the road 25 feet from the van and two turkeys wandering around, I told (teasingly) the nephew to go chase one down for breakfast, that old bird let him get within 4 feet then turned the tables and chased the nephew back to the van, squaking and flapping and I was laughing my azz off.

Attached Files:

15. sattv

sattv New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    You guys Kicked Butt last night.....Good Job:shock:

16. fmb

fmb Well-Known Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yeah we gotta learn how to shut the hell up and let the fish bite right in front of us!!!!!! I just wish one of us got one of those fish off rod and reel and not the setlines...

great fish either way...the flathead are bitting on the canal thats for sure!!!

17. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    yup hunter was the only one to do any good with a rod and reel, the banklines make for a good pile of eatin', but it seems like cheating to me, but I will say those flatties caught using either method taste the same, just more work and less fun with the banklines. Not something I do often anymore. the boys had a ball though and thats what mattered to me, they are pretty good kids!

18. skerzfan

skerzfan Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    I finally made it up to the canal Thursday night, but didn't do any good. The rain and wind was a relief from the skeeters. I'll have to meet up with you guys some day and learn at the feet of the masters. Check out your rigs and techniques. I don't know how you manage to bring anything in while dealing with the dead grass on the lines. LOL Good to see somebody gets it done.

19. fmb

fmb Well-Known Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yeah once you learn about the grass you have no problem with it...the canal is a great place to fish once you learn the do's and don'ts...I never cast out more than a few feet!!!!!

20. skerzfan

skerzfan Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    Thanks for the advice, Frank. Now if I can just get soaked down with bug spray without getting it on my equipment or hands and I should be in business. Appreciate your willingness to steer me the right direction.

Tight lines,

Jeff