Louisiana Redneck

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by Louisiana Redneck, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Louisiana Redneck

Louisiana Redneck New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good morning,

I am rigging up about 10 milk jugs for float fishing. I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some guidance on the proper rigging of hooks and weights for proper fishing. The water is about 15-20 feet deep. While you are at it have you had any good luck on specific type of bait?

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    shad work best for me on jugs or cheap hotdogs

3. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I tie my regular clinch knots for the jugs, and I use a 4/0 to 5/0 circle hook, and goldfish or shad for bait.

4. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Im In La...goldfish Are Illegal To Use

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

cut baits like shad and gills you may even try to get some Zote soap.

6. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    When you go out, take you a six pack of 20 oz coke bottles and rig them up as jugs to fish with. The 20 oz bottles are easy for the fish to pull under but have enough resistance to set the circle hook. I think you will find that you will catch more eating size fish with the smaller bottles. They are a little harder to track though, use reflector tape if fishing them at night.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I would only have the hook 2-3 feet under water every fish we are catching on jugs right now in N La. is on chicken gizzards.

8. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Man I did'nt know gold fish are illegal in Loisiana for bait. Oops I guess I better start usein somthin else. They do work good though.

9. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Man I'm not doubting you on this but the bait shops sell them. Can you reference the part in the regulation that says they are illegal? I've used them once and they didn't work as well as my other bait so I never used them again, I promise. :)

10. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here is a link to the reg on using gold fish for bait. The reg says that gold fish are exception if I am reading this right. Check it out and see what you think. It is illegal to release any left over gold fish though. http://www.wlf.state.la.us/fishing/recreational/freshwater/regulations/
    I have used them, and they work okay, never as good as natural bait though.

11. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    like you're reading it right. I remember fishing with goldfish in LA as a kid. I had been told they were illegal now, but the proof is in the reading. I had noticed they had goldfish at Clark's Marina, and wondered about the law then. Thanks for clearing that up.

12. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    this is what i found...

No person may possess or sell in this state the following fishes: all species of piranha, tilapia and carp (except koi or common carp (Cyprinus carpio) and goldfish (Carassius auratus)); Rio Grand Cichlid; freshwater electric eel (Electrophorus sp.); rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus); all members of the families Synbranchidae (Asian swamp eels), Channidae (snakeheads), Clariidae (walking catfishes) and Trichomycteridae (pencil catfishes). No fish of any species from outside the state shall be liberated within the state except upon written permission of the Secretary. No fish of any species shall be liberated into state waters without written permission of the Secretary.

posessing and using for bait is two different things...all my life, i was always told by everyone, it is illegal. still not 100% clear...ill look into it, and let yall know...FONT]

shaun

13. old poot

old poot New Member

State:
    La.
    cut buffalo and shad work for me in N.E. La.:big_smile:

14. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    One of my fishing buddies told me there is a kind of golden colored shad that he had used before that is not illegal. From what I understand, regular goldfish are illegal. If you are using them as bait, they are in your possesion which by the posted link is illegal.