louisiana monster bucks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Bayoubear, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    ive a question that i hope someone may be able to shed some light on.
    in the public lands forum i mentioned that about once a decade a monster class b n c buck is taken from russel sage wma.
    well, the whitetail sub-species we have here is the virginia whitetail. (swamp deer) impressive racks are possible but a true monster is rare as hens teeth.
    well, east of the ouachita river and on over towards mississippi huge bucks are a little more common and the "once in a lifetime" bucks possible.

ages ago i heard some old timers talking about the ever so rare monster taken out of russel sage and they mentioned that back in the 1950's or 60's an experiment was done east of monroe in which some Missouri whitetails (the bigger farm country deer) were bred with our local virginias in some govt program. when the funding was cut, so were the fences to the deer pens.

this makes logical sense in regards to why an iowa or kansas class buck is havested locally, albeit very very rare. they always make the local papers and the last one i remember was around 1990 or so. a 21 pt non-typical if memory serves right but the body size of the deer was massive too and that we just dont normally see here.

ive asked a few people over the years to no avail. a game warden or two, once a DMAP guy, one of my college biology professors, etc etc.

has anyone heard of such a research project? did it really exist?
    perhaps its only a myth? i dunno but it did get my curiousity piqued.

2. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    It seems like I read about that before, but I don't know where it took place. I do remember it saying that an experiment had taken place and the had interbred a larger s.s. with a smaller s.s. and it was said to have worked, but the budget was cut due to the "uselessness" of the project, or so said the pencil pushin polititians. But I'm not completely sure, it could be a myth but it explains what you have seen pretty well and fits the profile of it. Anyway it makes a good story.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    My cousin works for them,and I know for a fact that he transported deer TO missouri,not from.I can't remember the reason,but I think it was a trade for turkey.He made the trip 3 times,but only to drop off deer.He was still a student at LSU,and was grunt work,took them to Columbia.

I guess that doesn't answer your question.

IMHO,I don't think they would"cut the fence" for loss of funding.

4. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    thanks, at least someone else has heard of it. :)

maybe with luck someone else will also.
    when i was in college i had a biology grad student as a roomate and the trading of animals between states is common practice.
    i dont kno if the deer came from missouri or not, as missouri is just the name given to a particular subspecies of whitetail, of which there are a few.
    thanks for the follow ups.
    chad