Louisiana...First Big Event

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by skydiver41, Aug 20, 2007.

1. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, because of the kindness and generosity of Mr. John "Cuz" Allen, I was able to fish in my first major event this past weekend up in Louisiana. I was able to meet several fellow BOCers and see boats of every make and model imaginable. John's Big Daddy Sea Ark is just like the one I've been looking at and 2 days on his boat answered every I could think of...and then some. John is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. I can't thank him enough for taking me under his wing and showing me the ropes!

As if I wasn't hooked before...now I'm really hooked. The fishing was tough on Sunday. John caught both the fish and I got skunked. I can't wait to get back on the water and try some of the things I learned.

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Hey Mike. It was good to meet you too. I know you are probably chomping at the bit to get that new Big Daddy. No since waiting it will just drive you crazy. Live life to the fullest. You cant take that money with you when you leave this old world. May as well enjoy it.

3. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is the way it is supposed to be... Every time I go out with Mr. John "Cuz" Allen, he runs out of GAS!!

4. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Mike sorry i didn't get to meet u, maybe some other time, sounds like u had a great time that what counts

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Wow Mike, didn't realize that you were fishing with the "Cuz"!

I had a hell of a time!

It sure would have been a GREAT day had the barge we were waiting for had locked through in a decent amount of time. We missed the weigh in and it cost us First Place! :angry: Not only did we weigh in 87 lbs but we had a 32 pound fish on board as well! :angry: So needless to say, we were very upset and dissappointed.

To make matters worse, I damaged my motor and have to replace the prop and the prop-shaft. ( I'm taking it to Cook's tomorrow and I hope that's all that is damaged)

On a better note, I did win the "King City Strongest Man contest in Mt Vernon IL on Saturday the 18th! :cool2:

6. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Wow Bill. I wondered where you were at the weigh in. I left as soon as they gave the boat away cause I was exhausted. Very little sleep. Well just keep a stiff upper lip and there is always next year.

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    To Mike, Doug, Bob, and anybody else I missed, It was great meeting you all! I had a hell of a time, even though the skunk fest has still plauged me.:angry:
    I can say one thing though, after fishing this weekend, and talking to Shawn from Cooks, today, I think my boat is going up for sale to make room for a new SeaArk!:wink: Bill congrats on winning your competition!! Only if you could have made it back in time you would have wrapped up a perfect weekend. Looking forward to next year's big event!!

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Hey Bob, where exactly did you sleep....I only seen three possible choices...The parkbench, your boat, or your truck.Lol..

9. grinnel

grinnel New Member

State:
    Pool 25, Mississippi MO
    Long time viewer, first time poster here....

It was a slow day for sure. I'm not sure what has them shut down right now. The only difference between yesterday and a month (when they were hittin) was the water temp. was a bit warmer now. Flow and water level's were about the same. Who knows?????

Those of you who pre-fished the dam on saturday, was it any more productive?

I didn't stick around to see who won the boat. Anyone know who it was or their names?

10. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    WHat are you going to get Gary? 2072 with a tunnel hull and a 200?

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    No, I'm not going that extravagant!!! I'm thinking a 2072 with a 90hp Yamaha. That would suit me fine, plus it's in my price range:wink:

12. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Well Gary, I rolled the windows down in the truck and actually would have had a good night sleep IF it wasnt for the railroad tracks that run right on edge of the parking lot. I'm sure you noticed them when you got there. Well on those danged tracks run trains. lots of trains. With very loud air horns. They really like to blow those horns too. Every time I would get to sleep another train would be blowing his horn and back awake. There was a nice breeze blowing through the truck and no bugs bothering me at all. Oh well 2 and a half hours should be enough for anybody.

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Gary, what do you want for your boat? What is it? What size motor? ect,ect...

I may know a buyer if the price is right.

Let me know!

14. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    You ain't a kiddin about them trains. I bet four or five went through just while we were sitting there shooting the breeze on Saturday. Speaking of 2.5 hours of sleep, that's about what I got. My buddy wanted to go the bar, so we got home at 1am, and then back up around 4am.

15. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Bill, I sent you a PM.

16. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Gary, I have a 2072mv SeaArk w/ a 115hp Yamaha 4-stroke and i feel under powered, I'm not telling u what to buy, but I personally wouldn't put a 90hp on the back of a 2072. I would rather be over powered than under powered. Just my opinion?

17. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Bob I tried to warn u about doing all that pre-fishing, I did the same thing two years ago, pre-fish + no sleep + to much thinking = small fish. But theres always next yr.

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Frist of all I want to say sorry I didn't get to meet you.and you wasn't standing 15 ft from me. I ask Cuz who he fished with and he pointed you out .Said you was a fairly new member.One thing for sure you got to ride in luxury in Cuz's boat. That is one nice ride.
    Anyway welcome to the BOC and hopefully the fishin will get a bit better.

19. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    that set of tracks has about 30 trains in a 24 hr period

20. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    you can always figure 1 1/2 hours for a barge to lock through if he has to make a cut