Louisburg Middle Creek or La Cygne Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by barbel, Jul 23, 2006.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well I was going to go fishing Monday evening and i wanted to know which spot would be better for flatheads (I dont care what size, just any flathead), Middle Creek Lake, or La Cygne lake? Kscathunter told me there was some harvesting going on in La Cygne, but I havent heard anything about Middle Creek. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks :big_smile:

2. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fish Middle Creek quite a bit. The channel cat harvesting is pretty intense, and the State just raised the minimum length limit to 18". Don't know about the flathead harvesting, thankfully limb/jug/trotlines are illegal there. Here are pics of me with a 20# male caught two weeks ago, and my friend with a 10# female caught this past Friday night.
    Good luck to you!

Attached Files:

3. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Rick

Do they have that new 18" lenght limit for channel posted on the bulliten board down at Louisburg Middle Creek.

I check the KDWP 2006 regs on the net frequently but don't stop and read the board at the lakes when fishing there.

They sure don't have any new lenght limits listed in the KDWP 2006 Fishing regs on the net.

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll have to check the board out the next time I'm down there.

Lee

4. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Lee,
    The KDWP website does not have the new length posted. I talked to a Sherriff, last Saturday night, at the boat ramp that was kind enough to remind me of the new posting on the board at lake entrance. He indicated there was quite a problem with "short stringers" coming out of Middle Creek.
    I did fail to ask him if this was a permanent or temporary change, and if any other area locations were subject to the new change. Honestly I did not stop to read any new postings on the board, and was quite happy to take his word for it.
    It is a good small fishery, Louisburg-Middle Creek, and will remain so with good conservation regulations and adequate Law Enforcement pressure.

5. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well thank you for the help, RPnKC. I will have to try it out down there sometime. I had a friend that lived in Louisburg, so I know the area pretty well too. Nice place down there.

6. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for starting a thread on this lake.

I've never fished there, but drove by it a couple of times scouting it for overnight camping potential. I like to camp where I can pitch my tent/set up by the waterside and fish from the bank at night.

There seems to be limited camping there with only a dozen or so camping spots on the north side of the lake. I'm wondering if the bank fishing around the camping area is any good for catfish or other species.

My question is for you guys who fish this lake often.
    Do you know what the water depth or area along the shore where the camp sites are is like ?

Is this area good for catfishing from the bank at night ?

Or do I need to always take a boat to fish this lake ?

Thanks in advance for your advice....

7. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Charlie, I fish/have fished this lake quite a bit the last 3 years. It is jonboat friendly, which is how I fish 99+% of the time. The north end camping area is very nice, and maintained well. Alcohol is prohibited there, whether you are on the water or not. The boat ramp cove is a feeder creek/channel with a depth of 9-10', progressively shallower to the camping shore with a mud bottom. At the north end of the boat ramp cove there is an active feeder, so it draws in channels, then they return to the main lake. So you have two opportunities to put bait in front of these traveling fish. As the cove turns to the lake the water gets deeper, the castable depth around the north shore/camping area should be 10-12 feet. Have seen people catfish along that shore, but can't say I've ever talked to any of them to hear of their success. Fishing fron the boat dock is prohibited, and if the lake is full of boats wouldn't be much fun anyway having to pull lines in all the time. I have never seen anyone boat fishing around the camping area. This lake gets tremendous crappie pressure, most of the late night fishermen are anchored in the flooded timber.
    Recently caught 2 wipers right at dusk, just to the west of the camping area, scouting for flathead holes. If the shad are on the north shore, ie south wind, targeting wipers might be the ticket at sunset, followed by channel cat action.

8. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Just for some clarification on this thread since I was rather confused as to what the legal lenght limit was for channel on Louisburg Middle Creek Lake was and that it may have recently changed.

I fished there yesterday evening with a friend and checked the Info Board by the ramp. The info on the KDWP site is what is posted at the lake. For channel it is 15 inches and five fish creel. For flatheads it is just a 5 fish creel with no lenght limit. I had assumed that the length limit for channel and flatheads were the same.

The 18 inch length limits just applied to large mouth bass, saugeye and wipers.

We sure enjoyed the respite from the heat had a pleasant evening on the water and both of us fullfilled our goals at getting some eaters. My friend was looking for the 15 - 18 inchers and I was looking for anything greater than 20 inches and less than 10 pounds. My friend came home with 5 - 15 to 18 inchers and I ended up with 4 - 20 inchers.

9. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Lee,

Care to share the rest of the details ?

Where on the lake did you go ?
    Did you use fresh cut bait ?
    Did you fish certain type structure/depth ?

Did you catch them on your crappie rod ??

Inquiring minds want to know.....

I went to Lake Perry yesterday with a friend to get educated in "beaning". We started fishing at daybreak and both had limits (10 each) before 10 am. Smallest fish kept was 1 1/2 lb, but had many over 3 lb and two over 4 lb (4.5 and 4.7). Caught on light/ultralight in about 22-25 ft on the edge of the old river channel in the Slough Creek ramp area. Weather WAS great !!

10. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Charlie

Without a fishfeeder near by I'm clueless, hopeless and lacking any confidence at catching the slimey whiskered pisces.

All my fish were caught with the 10ft crappie pole using cut bait. My friend was using a probably 6 ft med light spinning rod also using cut bait. His reel was a old Mitchel that sounded like a M-1 Rifle bolt slamming shut every time he closed the bail on the reel. I woundered how we caught any fish with that noise going on beings that we are working so close to the fish.

We fished from 4:00 pm till about 8:30 pm.

From what I gather from this board I probably won't be getting a picture of me holding a real big fish since I don't usually fish at nite. I am more of a early morning fisher.

Hope that answers your questions.

Glad to see you success with the beaners. I've tried it a couple times on Clinton and one time at Perry. All three times I watched people catching fish. Notice I said watched I didn't catch squat. Most of the beans I soured up ended up with Deffenbaugh Disposal. I can see that one needs to be able to pick the spot and position and hold their boat correctly for success. Something necessary for all fishing and something I hope to gather from this board to assist in my fishing efforts.

Anyhow thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :big_smile: