LOUD WHISKER BISCUIT?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, Oct 3, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i put a whisker biscuit QS on my bow over the summer, and during target practice at the house it seemed alright. out in the place i hunt though, it seems real loud. i haven't had a deer jump the string on me yet, but i know it's just a matter of time. i know shooting in town there's a lot of background noise, and while hunting i am making the only noise hearable. even the deer i missed last week stood stock still till the arrow hit the dirt behind her, but i want to minimize extra noise while hunting. next year i will be shooting a mission x3 with a fall away rest, i hear they're pretty quiet and no interferance with the arrow. but for the rest of this season i will have to shoot the fossil, as money is tight. sorry to ramble. i guess my question is this: are all the biscuits loud, and is there anything i can do to make it quieter? thanks for any and all replies!

2. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I shoot a biscut and it's not loud at all,you may have already done so but make sure nothing is loose.other than that i have no idea?almost everyone i know shoots a biscut and aint never heard any of them complain bout noise,hope you get it figured out.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I don't shoot one now, I shoot a fall away but when I used to shoot a biscuit I trimmed away some of the whiskers at the 3 points my fletchings hit most. Not all, just thinned them out some so the fletchings could pass easier with less noise and less wear on the fletchings if you shoot alot. Good Luck

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm not here to degrade the use of the Whisker Biscuit. I've heard both pros and cons about them. I know some guys that had the same trouble with the noise factor. Todays companies that make vanes or fletches stepped up to the plate and are making more durable vanes to take the beating the Whisker Biscuit can do to the vanes. I know the Whisker Biscuit has been modified for quality and alot of guys use them with great results.

On the flip side, I prefer the fall or drop away rest for the reason there is no vane contact at all. I use the Vapor Trail fall away rest. The flipper arm cable attaches to the upper limb of the bow instead of the buss cable. This helps eliminate tuning problems assocaiated with tension on the buss cable. I definently use mole skin or felt on the arrow shelf, so when the flipper flips down after the shot there is quite contact. I noticed way better or tighter groups when using a fall away rest versus a shoot through or prong style rest.

Good luck on the purchase Jordan !!:big_smile:
    Hope this helps!!
    Mark..

5. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I have done exactly what Mike has suggested when I first started using my whisker biscuit and it has kept it very quiet.

6. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have shot one for four years now no noise at all, and no accuracy problems either that are casued from the rest, sometimes i flinch thats not its fault. If i shoot any tighter of a group i coulndt afford to shoot at all cause i would be out of arrows in one target session, I guess everybody has there ups and downs with everything. ford dodge chevy no gmc same thing with bows and guns every body has a favorite

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for the replies, guys! i've only ever missed one deer with a bow, last week, and it was totally my fault. i got excited and didn't focus. that's what i love about bowhunting- even shooting a doe will make my whole body tremble and shake! after the shot, i feel like i'm having a seizure how bad i'm shaking. i can't get enough of it. i wonder if i am just over sensitive to the noise. i mean, deer hear great, and they are looking right at me when i shoot. they don't even twitch till the arrow hits them or around them. i am still going to get a fast bow with a fal away rest. hell if nothing else i can go back to the biscuit if i don't like the fall away. i fletch my arrows with 2" blazers, and there is absolutely no wear on them from the rest. the only time i have to refletch is when i shoot fletchings off arrows while practicing. i fixed this by getting a block with 5 targets on it. the main thing i like about the biscuit is i don't have to hold the arrow. it's right there ready to rock. this fits in perfectly with spot and stalk hunting. thanks so much for all the replies!

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    What you might want to consider Jordan on your next rest purchase is a full containment fall away rest. A guard surrounds the rest and will keep the arrow from dropping of the rest. This can be very benificial if you spot and stalk hunt to. Just have to do some homework on what you want and what you're willing to spend.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You could try holding your ears when you shoot! LOL Just kidding buddy! :big_smile:

10. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Even with a full containment fall aways the arrow has quite a bit of room to move up and down more than the biscute,atleast on all the 1ns i have seen so far.i havn't bought 1 yet but i was looking to get 1 made by QAD pretty exspensive [$130 ish] but it's the 1 i think i would personally like bcause it has micro ajustments, looks like the cadilac of fall aways!

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've shot a biscuit for several years now and never has it been "loud". What sounds loud on it? Does it make a scraping sound when you draw back or do you notice it during the shot?

I've talked to guys who shoot camo coated carbon arrows that have had noise issues when drawing theres bow back with a biscuit. The camo coating causes this and when they went to a regular black carbon shaft, the noise went away.

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'm in the same boat about geting the QAD rest. If I decide to upgrade to a fall away rest, this is the only rest that I will get due to it being a full containment rest as well as a drop away.

I setup the cheaper model QAD fall away on a buddies bow and it was easy to tune and setup. The only thing we had to change was the launcher arm due to him shooting the taller blazer vaners.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I shoot a biscuit too and the only time I hear anything is if Im trying an arrow with a glossy fancy finish (camo or otherwise) and sometimes it'd squeek during the draw. I shoot maximas' and easton xx75's and dont have a problem with them. I have on other arrows which my brother in law gave me to try to encourage me to switch to carbon arrows.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It don't get no better than an XX75, on a chilly fall morning, stuck in the ground, with blood from one end to the other, hair in the leaves below, and a blood trail that looks like it was poured out of a bucket..............Oh, but I degress. My bow don't squeak, I don't shoot anything but XX75s and Cedar arrows.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the noise i am hearing is the fletchings going through the biscuit. i shoot beman hawk carbon arrows. they have no finish on them, just black carbon. there is no sound whatsoever at the draw. i think i am just oversensitive to the sound. i believe if it was all that loud, the deer would jump the string at the shot instead of jumping out of their skin when the broadhead buries in them. i shoot a 55 pound bow, so the deer would have plenty of time to react to the shot before impact.