lots of young members on here

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fishstick, Sep 27, 2009.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i've noticed in my few years of being a BOC member that there are alot of young members (teenagers and younger). all of these young people seem to be well mannered and respectful to others. i'm glad to have them and eager to answer their questions when i'm asked.
    some of these young people come from single parent families and are in need of mentors. i know that alot of you older fishermen have the time and resources to take one of these young guys or gals on a fishing trip if they are close enough to make this possible. just think of the difference you could make in their lives to get them out on the water. i wish that i had someone close to me to take a time or two. it's great that the BOC is here for them. and you know that if they're on the creeks then they're not on the streets. so let's take a youngster fishing.

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    maybe paul could even come up with an award ribbon for someone mentoring a young member.

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Great thoughts! Reps incoming!

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    MANN...I COULD LEARN ALOT FROM THEM :smile2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Billy a great idea. I second all of that..Reps.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thats what it is all about:wink:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree,Billy. I do my best to help anyone who asks. Experience is the best teacher,But a lil help turning in the right direction don't hurt a bit.

8. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Now that is a great idea Billy! That,s what it is all about.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That just may work! Thanks for the idea. I appreciate everyone on the BOC for teaching me what I know now and more for the future. Reps for this thread Billy.:wink:

10. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    these up and comers need all the help that they can get to become good sportsmen and responsible adults. i know from my own upbringing with just a mom to raise me that it's hard on a young person to hear all the stories my friends would tell of their fathers taking them hunting and fishing. all i could do was dream of such trips. i guess that if i were lucky enough to hit a big lottery that i would start a fishing camp and try to give all these youngsters the opportunity to enjoy the feeling of catching a fish. at least the internet with sites like the BOC give them a chance to feel like they are a part of something. long live the BOC.

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Few years back I spent a lot of time and resources taking kids camping/fishing etc..
    It is worth it.

I,love to do the same for my Grandkids and their friends.

little harder these days

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  12. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great idea Billy and I hope it bears fruit. The future rests with our youngsters. Stay safe and to borrow from Bluejay, "Take a kid fishing"!!!:wink:

13. Real men fish

Real men fish New Member

State:
    california
    hey i just want to say thanks to all of the generousity i have receeved in the last few days, you guys rock and i would love to fish with anyone who feels like sharing some knowledge

14. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    good stuff billy. im a divorced guy and play a very active roll in my kids lives. last weekend they went campn and fishn with me to katfish katys. i live in the country so were always goin to the creeks and through the woods. alot of times i dont care if i dont catch a thing just known there with me and teaching them a lil bout the outdoors. my son is only 5 and my daughter 8 they know how to fish and cast and my son helps me set up the camper! very good thoughts indeed take em with ya. all kids need that chance. like u said at the creeks and off the streets.

15. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    first off great thread, i have takin a few kids hunting and fishing over the years and it is a great feeling. im not far from being a kid myself, and i remember going hunting and fishing with my friends dads and neighbors and whatnot, along with my own dad from time to time, and the memories and knowledge i have from that will last a lifetime. the best way to thank those who teach you is to pass the knowledge on. that way it lives on forever.

Welcome to the BOC Jon, these guys are a great bunch and you can learn as much as you are willing to take in on this site. Although your question may have been asked before, everyone is eager to answer it again. to quote my scoutmaster "the only stupid question is the one not asked."

16. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would like to first thank Billy for this great post. And I personally will put the offer out there to any who knows or has children who would like to go fishing. If anyone wants to take me up on this off just send me a pm.

17. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    now thats the spirit

18. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Great thread..I offer the same here in south central ky..

19. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As a police officer and a foster parent I get to see first hand the lives some children are forced to live. It's amazing how little things we take for granted can make a positive impact in a child's life. Kids even enjoy the work part of fishing and hunting that we sometimes dread, like catching shad or perch for bait or hanging treestands in the heat of the summer. You may think it's a waste of time to explain why you're placing your stand in a particular spot, but believe me, that kid is listening. Before long, they will be spotting more deer sign or catching more bait than you. The important thing is spending time with them. Whether it be fishing or hunting or just playing catch in the yard. Try to answer all of their questions even if you think it is a stupid question, to them it is very important. Go through your old fishing equipment and give what you don't ever use to a kid. That old Zebco 33 combo you replaced with an Abu Garcia 6500 would make a kid without a fishing pole very happy.

20. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i agree with everyone theres alot of kids out there that doesnt have that chance of going fishin alot of them are self taught so yea lets help them out i know they would apreciate everything and reps for a great post