lots of shad

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by trotliiner, Oct 28, 2009.

1. trotliiner

trotliiner New Member

State:
    Eugene Missouri
    just came from the Bagnell dam... lots of generation and lots of shad up at the wall... saw a guy net 6 shad with one swipe.. they are 10 to 12" long.. 10/28/09 at 3:00 P,M,... :big_smile:

2. truman lake guy

truman lake guy New Member

State:
    mo
    i cant catch a shad at truman!! used gizzards last week on my jugs. did however catch a 40lber

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jim.

4. dlongmo

dlongmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have been finding shad in the early afternoon however they are small.......but they will work......... I cut the head off the the tail off and use the head and body of 2 or 3 and have actually had good luck with them.........I was surprised!!!!!!:crazy:

5. mr. baker

mr. baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am not that familiar with Bagnell Dam but I assume you are talking about finding shad below the dam on the river, correct? When you speak of "the wall" are you talking about the east side of the river or the west side near the VFW?

Do people use a throw net from the bank to catch them or will a throw net get hung in the rocks? I have a 6 ft. throw net, will that work?

I would like to net some shad to freeze for the winter. I went out on LOZ this afternoon and the real small shad were thick in the back of the coves. Had to get out in 20 ft. of water to get any with any size to them and they were few and far between.

6. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    you can catch em with a throw net or when they are really thick a dip net will work.

The wall is on the boat ramp side of the river.

7. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Throw a net down there at your own risk, you definately have a chance to get hung up. When they are running water like now the shad are usually thick and easy to catch. If they are not running water its a dead zone down there IMO. The shad are also real thick in the coves right now, just have to pick the right ball to get some nice sized ones. Good luck.

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Headen there friday with the med gear for hybrids and 2 coolers to fill with big shad for cut bait and shad guts. I have done good fishing below bagnel in the past right up till late dec.

9. trotliiner

trotliiner New Member

State:
    Eugene Missouri
    pretty hard to use throw nets cuz of the rocks and swift current... most of the guys use a fine mesh dip net.. works real good.. I saw the shad on the opposite side of the VFW... you have to pay now to fish that side as it is under new management.. nice people at the bait shop there...you can even launch a boat over there now... have to be a 4 wheel drive though. If you want to see some huge catfish walk up to the generators (where the water comes out) and you will really get the fever... ha... the cats are feeding on the shad.... good luck..... trotliner...

10. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the Great BOC!!!

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC!!:big_smile:

12. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Welcome to the BOC

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Filled a cooler with 10 to 14 inch gizzard shad Fri, below bagnel.

14. lee

lee Well-Known Member

State:
    missouri
    i need driving directions to the (loz) bagnel discharge...
    i am in odessa on 70hwy and will be going 13South i think?:confused2:
    lee and bitty

15. Wanda BARNER

Wanda BARNER Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Wanda
    Take 13 south to 54 east. Take 54 east till you cross the river below Bagnal Dam. Take first left at end of bridge drive about 1 mile to base of dam. Stay to the left but dont turn into lanch ramp. When you get to the dam park and walk down the rocks and up to the wall. If they are running water, shad should be along the wall. Or take 50 east to 65 south . south of Warsaw take 7 to 5 south to Camdenton. There. . take 54 east on to the dam . Either way you go, once you are there, there you are.

16. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    Sounds like you have made the trip a few times WANDA, i bet even i could even fallow those directions!! Who needs a gps!, just ask wanda, (i wish my gps could tell me where to catch shad):smile2:

17. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    Not sure now but you used to have to get a shad permit from the police station.

18. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    not anymore