Lots of questions...

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KSCats, Jun 16, 2008.

1. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    First of all, despite my name (which shows my lack of creativity) I'm new to KS. I moved here (Emporia) from Missouri about 1.5 years ago. I've been doing most of my fishing at Lyon State Fishing Lake north of town. It's perfect for fishing from the bank and it's close to town. I keep saying I'm going to get a boat but hasn't happened yet. :roll_eyes:

Where else can I go that's good for fishing from the bank?

John Redmond?
    Melvern?
    I've been out to both of these but it looked like it would be best in a boat. Haven't tried to fish there yet.

Neosho river?
    Cottonwood river?
    I haven't really explored these rivers yet. There is a bridge south of town on the cottonwood that some people fish from but I don't see how they'd haul a fish up from the river to the top of the bridge without losing it. They must use some heavy duty gear.

Is it illegal to float through private land on kansas rivers? From some of the posts I've read it seems that way. I don't have a boat anyway, just curious.

I haven't been to El Dorado yet, but it doesn't seem too far on the map. Are there good bank fishing spots there?

What else is close to Emporia that has good bank fishing?

BTW, after this weekend, I might have to change my name to NOCats.:beat_brick:LOL

2. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Also...
    Whats the deal with the 2 pole limit in KS? I tried it for a while but ended up getting the third & wish I could use more.

Could someone explain the ideas behind CPR? I get what it is but, why? I never catch big fish anyway and release most of the small ones too.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC, hope you will enjoy it as much as I have , there is just a whole lot of info. here. Sorry can't help you on the any fishing up your way but there will be someone to help you out. Anyway good luck fishing

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Welcome to the BOC Chris.I fish mostly from a boat so dont know any real good spots from the banks.

All the lakes and reivers you listed have good fishing from the banks you just need to scout/learn where they are.

Someone I'm sure that fishes these areas will help you out where to get start just keep posting.

Good luck fishing!

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well if you were down in my part i might beable to help you a little more, but ill try to help you as much as i can bein as were both in the same state. as far as i know as long as you are in the river you can float through someones private land and its only illegal if you get off of the river channel. i actually think you have till the rivers highest point and then after that its declared private property. might want to check on that second part, but i know you can float through it as long as you stay on the river.:0a26:might not have helped ya much but its better than nothing right?

6. carp 5O

carp 5O New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You can only float the Ark, MO, and Kansas Rivers, they are public up to the high water mark. Any other stream, river, or channel is private property and you would need permission from the adjacent landowners to float that river or portion of that river. If said river flows through public property then you have acess to the portion of the river that is adjacent to the private property.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Chris.

8. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Thanks. I was hoping with so many people on here there might be 1 or 2 familiar with this area.

9. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I'm pretty sure that's the way it is in MO. I haven't been down a river in a long time though. I'd have to check to be sure. I always thought that the water belonged to the government/public and as long as you didn't get out of the boat you're ok.

10. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Good to know. Thanks!

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    if you ever want to come west of you just pm me and ill take you on a trip to the arkansas river for some flaties

12. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Thanks! I'll have to do that one of these days.

13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    CPR is a good idea because the big cats take a long time to get that way. They also lay more eggs and have better nesting sites. With more people fishin for cats now it is more important to CPR. It is not illegal to keep a big cat but for the future of fishing it is a good idea. As far as the pole limit, I have no problem with just 2 but I just dont see why the laws provide more for the trot/limb liners than they do for the rod and reel fisherman. Its not the R&R guys who are hurting the population.But no one said you cant practice CPR with lines, as long as they are checked regularly. I see people on here using 6 to 8 poles each, I would hope you can catch somethin.:smile2: Gettin enough live bait for my 2 poles and my wife's is enough for me.I cant help you with fishin in your area as I have never fished there but Im sure someone will help ya out.

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    KSCats............... here is a link about the rivers here in Kansas. just read through the discussion we had on here and make yer own decisions.

welcome to the BOC !!

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Where is the link JJ ?

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the cottonwood and neosho are very good rivers with lots of big fish in them from what my uncle tells me, he moved to emporia for a couple years for his work. he said alot of the locals perfer the cottonwood but id definitly check them both out good giving them a few trys, dont just go once or twice and think they arent good youll just have to find the SPOTS. like you said you might need to upgrade to some bigger equiptment, dont know what you got but you should find out quick if you need to go bigger. go make smalltalk with some of the guys fishing that look like they know what their doing some dont mind company. melvern is the mdc river good fishing, redman i believe is the neosho redman i believe is a shallow flat lake not shure about melvern, also you should try the outlets were they release water the lakes outto be pretty full and releasing water witch should stur up some fish.

17. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
  18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    being limited on poles sometimes stinks it just means you got to get someone to go with you to get more rods out:wink:

like you said "you never catch big fish anyway" thats the idea behind cpr selecting witch size is most common to your waters (2-8# is usually what i keep if any) to harvest if you wish and releasing larger fish to grow up and make more bigger fish so that you increase your and others ods of bigger fish.

19. Dead Red Rick

Dead Red Rick New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome aboard I am pretty new to the BOC and have a lot to learn about the site but I have learned there are some really good people here.

20. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Very well said Kyle!

A $50 investment in a camera today will let you use your many $$$$ in fishing gear tomorrow...