Lots Of Pics Of Me And Jaden's Tuesday Evening Fishin Trip, Gafftop Cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by da-cajun-angla, Sep 28, 2006.

1. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    ok here we go...ME AND MY BOY RECENTLY STARTED FISHING LAKE PONCHATRAIN (A HUGE BRAQUISH LAKE NEAR NEW ORLEANS) WE Bankfished Off A Jetty By A Boat Launch On Peavine Of Hwy 51 In Laplace And Caught Some Beautiful Gafftop's(ALSO CALLED SAILFIN). This Is In My Opinion The Best Eating Catfish And 1 Of 2, But The Only Edible Saltwater Catfish. THEY PRIMARILY EAT CRABS. EVERY ONE I CUT OPEN HAD LITTLE CRABS IN THEIR BELLY'S. I THINK THIS IS WHY THEY ARE SUCH GOOD EATIN'.I Talked To A Few Crabbers, And They Told Me Since The Storm, They've Caught Tons Of New Species Of Saltwater Fish In The Lake, Including Vermillion Snapper, Spadefish, Grouper...u Name It. These Gafftop's Are Between 5-15lb's, And U Catch Lots Of Em'. The Crabs Now Are The Fattest I've Seen All Year. The Crabbers Told Me They Work Just Like Oysters, In That The Months That Have A R In Them They Are At Their Best And Fattest. Reason Being They've Grown Their Biggest And Just Start Packing On Fat. My Kid's Bithday Was Friday And I Had Bought A Dozen Softshell Crabs, And Fried Those Up Along With The Gafftop's We Caught Friday Evening And Topped Them Off With A Crawfish/andouille(pronounced On-do-wee) Creme Sauce...man, Lemme Tell Ya, Its Some Good Stuff. If Any1 Wants The Creme Sauce Recipe, Lemme Know, And I'll Post It. It's Not Hard Or Time Consuming To Make, But Just Plain Awesome And Sumtin' A Lil' Different INSTEAD OF COCKTAIL SAUCE. WITH ALL THE CRABS IN THE LAKE, THE GAFFTOP'S GROW HUGE AND ARE PACKED IN THE LAKE BY THE MILLIONS. I PUT SOME 200LB POWERPRO ON MY POLE, CRANKED THE DRAG ALL THE WAY DOWN...WOW, WHAT I FIGHT WITH THEM NOT BEING ABLE TO POP THE STRING AND NO DRAG! WE'VE BEEN GOING EVERY DAY THIS WEEK, AND CATCHING AS MUCH AS WE CAN CARRY BACK TO THE TRUCK! HELL OF A LOT OF FUN! ONE CAT ALMOST YANKED JADEN IN THE WATER...FUNNY STUFF...I JUST GRABBED HIM AND GAVE HIM A HAND...HE'S A LIL GUY YA KNOW!(HEY HIS MOM'S 100LBS...IF SHE WOULD HAVE SPIT OUT ANYTHING BIGGER...SHE'D HAVE SPLIT IN HALF)...LOL...WE WERE FISHING WITH SHRIMP AND CUT EEL. I PUT A HARDHEAD CAT IN THE PICS, SO YA'LL CAN SEE WHAT A LIVE ONE LOOKS LIKE...BUT WE GENERALLY DO NOT EAT EM...WE CALL EM' "TURD-HUSTLERS"...LOL...NOTE HOW LARGE THE FINS EXTEND OUT ON THE GAFFTOP'S...REALLY A PRETTY FISH. THE CRAB PICTURED IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST I'VE EVER SEEN, AND BELIEVE ME, I'VE SEEN A LOT! HE IS JUST ENORMOUS! LOOK AT HIM COMPARED TO MY DOG! JADEN INSISTED ON WEARING HIS DAVY CROKETT RACOON HAT...HE WORE THAT SUCKER ALL DAY. OH, THERES A PIC OF ONE OF THE GAFFTOP'S WITH THE STRANGEST HEAD I'VE EVER SEEN! HE HAD LIKE THESE WELL "THINGS" ON HIS HEAD...UR GONNA HAVE TO LOOK AT THE PIC TO SE WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT'...I THINK IM GONNA RUN A FEW TROTLINES IN THE LAKE AND SEE WHAT I CAN PULL...I'LL KEEP YA'LL POSTED!
    THANKS FOR LOOKIN',
    SHAUN AND JADEN

Attached Files:

2. da-cajun-angla

State:
    louisiana
    Some More Of The Pics

Attached Files:

3. da-cajun-angla

State:
    louisiana
    Even More Of The Pics

Attached Files:

4. da-cajun-angla

State:
    louisiana
    Some More Pics Of The Fishin Trip

Attached Files:

5. da-cajun-angla

State:
    louisiana
    Damn That Was A Long Process!!!

6. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's real cool. You're a good dad for takin the little man fishin all the time like that. And I've never seen fish like those before. Thanks for posting all that.

7. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    they can digest those crabs. If not, that might be rough on the way out!

Nice pictures. I wouldn't mind catching a bunch of crabs that size. Only thing is, those ol' crabs are sort of hard to pick out.

Will

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish and congrats on the catches. Enjoyed the pics.