Lots of new guys

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jolie, Feb 20, 2009.

Where do you normally catfish at?

1. Susquehanna Watershed

2. Delaware Watershed

3. Schukyll Watershed

4. Alleghany Watershed

5. Ohio Watershed

6. Mongahela Watershed

7. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Well a warm welcome to a whole new group of catfishermen!:smile2:

I haven't seen this many people join in a long time... I hope you guys all stick around and impress us with stories of huge catfish and good times this coming spring and summer.

You've got me wondering if the basic membership of the state's forum is changing. It used to seem like the west had more members but that the east had bigger fish:smile2::smile2::smile2:

A quick little poll perhaps and if some of you guys want to in broad strokes say where and how you fish, it will help us get to know you.

myself, I fish the upper alleghany; right below the Kinzua dam. Not exactly the prime catfish territory that the alleghany is further downstream.. flatheads are scarce to non-existant around here and channels cats have to put up with colder water and some extra competition (The trophy trout population is awesome for those that are avid about it; and the dam gets the water cozy for a trophy bow or brown year round)...

Strictly a bank fishermen, I have been known to make a few half-crazed trips in a canoe on the river at night.:tounge_out:

Lake Erie is an awesome fishery although a little bit of a drive, and I occasionally drive south for the big catfish in the upper navigational locks... But nonetheless most of my fishing is local and I focus on channel catfish! they could use some marketing or something up here, there are usually thought a pest and rarely targeted; but a very worthy adversary and I don't know why more people don't fish for them...

even a channel catfish is one of the biggest most powerful fish in the river, only being outclassed by the musky...

I'm obsessed as much about fishing as many people here; but not strictly as a catfishermen... I enjoy many different kinds of fish. but whats so cool around here is the joy to share my adventures with my friends:smile2::cool2:

Jolie

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I do 95% of my fishing for flatheads on the Mighty Schuylkill. Starting in mid April to early November, I narrow-mindedly fish for flathead catfish. During this time I will fish 100-120 nights because I do not have to work from late June to early September. I eat, sleep, and flathead all summer long and have been doing the same routine for the last 5 years and i plan the same Flatheadathon in 2009.

I do enjoy an occasional walleye or striped bass until the flatheads wake up.

Bass and carp are considered bait to me:cool2:

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I'm not so new to the board. Just decided to get away from all the drama and concentrate on the good things about catfishing and leave the politics and bickering to others. Lifes to damn short to be fighting. Talked to Paul via e-maill the other week and he was cool with me coming back, and welcomed me.

Majority of my fishing in on the potomac river in Maryland over the years. the last 2 years been going down on the lower Potomac for the blues. Never fished the susky too much, because of the shallow waters, and always having a prop. last fall went and sold my boat and got a SeaArk 2072 with a jet on to get to some of the places I couldn't on the Potomac and spend more time fishing the susky. Started going down to the James In Virginia for the Blues. Something about those 50lb+ hook ups on the james and Potomac that doesn't get old.

Never really fished for flatheads until last year I got a couple. planning on doing some traveling and hit some places this upcoming year. New waters, new adventures, and new friends. Time to expand out and try new things. Maybe fish some more tourneys. Want to fish at least 2 cabelas Tourney this year, might get spanked, but there is more to it then just winning.

After dealing with a bout of cancer last spring, it's time to do some things I've always talked about, but never followed through on. I do enjoy taking people out that might not always have the opportunity. There is just something about seeing a smile on somebody's face when bubba comes up along side the boat. Sure don't know everything about catfishing, but shoot, who does. I'll help out when i can, and ask for help when i have questions. You gotta keep an open mind to new things or you'll stop learning and having fun.

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I am a Schuylkill guy I will be venturing out on my first flathead season this year with some decent gear some awesome guys and a computer and a whole website full of know how wish me luck:cool2:

5. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    Do most of my fishing either lakes or the susky. Sometime this summer, I will be a three river guy as I will be moving out that way. Not sure when but sometime in the summer. Wife wants to be closer to family. Her parents are getting older and she wants to be a little closer. You can tell who the boss is in my family :roll_eyes:. Will have to learn new fishing locations all over again.

6. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

I do most of my catfishing in the susquehanna river in the nanticoke/berwick area.

7. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey guys, i do most of my cattin in the ohio river it's so close to my house, and it's pretty good fishing. i also go over to the allegheny by lock 2 & 3, got a buddy lives over that way so sometimes i got drive his way and vice versa. but more on the ohio in my yak.

8. wetflyguy

wetflyguy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I do most of my cattin on the Schuylkill, but do get on the Susky and the Lehigh. Looking for my first good Pa. Flatty the year!!

Wet

9. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Schuylkill river fisherman since childhood never caught a flathead though gonna give it a real good try this year though:cool2:

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I primarily fish the Skuke. but I also fish the Susky. and sometimes I venture down to the Patomac for some Blues.

11. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Ive been fishing the Susquehanna since I was 17. Im 34 now. I fished mostly ponds and lakes before the susky. A freind turned me on to the running water smallmouth with hellgramites. It changed me forever... from a person that really liked to fish, to a person that was completely obsessed and adicted to fishing. Smallmouth will always be my 1st love but After landing many fish over the 20" mark. In my early 20's I began night fishing for channels. It was like de ja vu. There was somethin about fishin the nocturnal wiskered giants of the deep that just felt right. It was meant to be. About all I got is catfishing. No old lady no kids......... just cats. Last year I went out on a limb and bought my dream boat an 1872 sea ark jet tunnel. Im hopeing to do some part time guideing out of it this year.As well as fishing some tournaments. Eventually I would like to fish for a living some way some how:0a32:

12. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I am an Ohio River guy. Favorite area from beaver river outflow to the border line

13. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    make sure you send us a price list I've seen some of the fish you caught I might be a potential customer:wink:

14. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i live not a hundred yards from the yough river and have been fishing it since my dad first took me out when i was 3. still fish it but my flathead fishing is on the monongahela river. love them flats.

15. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i also fish the yough river being i live just 200 yards away occasionally i'll head over to the mon river

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm a Allegheny River guy! I fish anywhere from Lock #3 to Lock #9. My boat is docked between #8 & #9 so thats where I fish the most!