Lots Of Cover!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CraigO, Apr 10, 2006.

1. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    I'm going fishing on a lake here in TX on Saturday that is filled with cover! It's a state park lake, about 350 acres, built for trophy bass fishin. I want to catch cats or crappie. The question is, how do you find fish when practically the entire lake is filled with standing timber, brush, etc.? Supposedly some real nice cats in there, over 20 lb channels. thanks for the advice for this semi-rookie!

2. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Craig,

I was just telling everyone on the next thread about the article in this months in-fisherman magazine. The article talks about the problem you have....You might pick it up.

Paul

3. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    I guess too much cover and no cover at all would be similar types of problems. What do u think? I may look for that mag... but until then I want to see what yall think... the BOC guys know a lot combined and could write some of the magazines out there themselves

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i would think (i don't know the lay out of the lake) if the bottom is fairly uniform (all 5 ft deep or what ever it is ) i'd start looking for those little ditches (maybe a 6 inch-2ft drop) and concentrate my attention on those areas... the standing timber will attract crappie so basically just drop your jig/bait next to it and pull out the fish... I would concentrate on the bottom structure though, esp if there is an area where it goes from shallow to deep fairly fast but any drop off areas even 2 ft may attract fish... those little irregularity spots are the keys...

If there aren't many good spots like that and you find the fish just want to spread out all over the place, if its legal, Chum a few holes with some soured grain or some cans of wet dog food (removed from cans and tosses in w/ a spoon to break it up so the cats don't get a meal just from the chum) and mark the trees around it w/ something only you would think to look for...

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here in Arkansas, many of the state lakes were formed by erecting earthen dams. To get the necessary dirt, they dug a deep trench 50 to 100 yards above the dam. Fishing along the edges and back a little ways, say up to 50' or so can be productive. Other than that, you're looking for unusual cover. A depth finder is really critical here. Fishing the edge of boat lanes can be good, but even better is to find some kind of smaller open area or lane and fish the edges. Or, a big open area with only one or two pieces of structure. Old channels and ditches, of course. If there's any current, look for ambush spots where fish can lay in wait for bait to come drifting by.

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    im with photocat on this one . i would look for ditches. i would also look for old road beds or a creek channel that runs thru the lake.also look for wter turkey roosts. if you have any standin dead cedar trees fish those befor you try the hard woods.also look for old ponds" i belive you texans call them tanks" that might be submerged. if you find a sunken pond fish around the hump on the dam. as far as the crappie goes fish shhade side of the timber and cover lots of water.alot of people anchor to crappie fish and while this works , schools of crappie roam around in search of bait fish. hope this helps.