Lots of Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Sparky Larson, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Ok guys, let's have a little fun. It's winter here in the Great Lakes State of Michigan and I've got cabin fever. I see a lot of post here on this site, that shows pictures of hugh catfish, but lets talk Quanity.
    I first got on this site a couple of years ago and since then, I have made friends with quite a few of the brothers here. I have learned alot, and I have shared a lot. One of my greatest fishing trips happened when I called a fella that lives about 30 miles away from me. ( "Hear Kitty" - Don Lambert) We shared a little small talk, and I mentioned that we should get together and do a little catfishing. His response was, lets go! I mean, lets' go right now!
    This was a Sunday morning and it was about 9:30am. I said, this isn't really the best time of the day to go catfishing. He said, sure it is! I told him I could be ready to leave my house within the hour. We arranged a meeting place, which was about an hour from my house, and by Noon, we were in his boat and fishing on the Saginaw Bay.
    Remember, this is noon on a Sunday the 17th of July, and needless to say it was a little warm out. We bearly got our two rods apiece baited and in the water, when the first cat hit the inside of the boat. By 3:00pm, we had 30 cats boated, and I don't know how many we lost. None of the fish were big, all about 2 to 3 pounds, but it was great fun.
    Since then, Don and I have fished many times together from the bank and in his boat. Some of the other Michigan brothers have joined Don in his boat, and couldn't believe the amount of cats they caught in the Bay.
    So, does anyone else have a fish story that can top over 30 cats in three hours?
    Sparky

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    thursday afternoon and until 8pm a friend and i caught 45 channels in a lake about 25 miles from my house. it was my first trip over there this year, but he has been going the last 2 weeks between cold spells and he is catching near his limit every time. the largest we caught was 25 inches, but we had 4 around 23 and a bunch at 20 inches. it was so much fun i am taking my dad this afternoon. we caught all fish on danny king or mr whiskers. they were in the hot water discharge of a power plant lake.

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    April 2006, Rod & Reel, Lake Lavon.
    Had fish fry coming the next weekend. Three guys in boat, started at daylight, stop keeping fish around noon or 1PM (had enough), biggest fish kept for fish fry was about 7 lbs, we kept/cleaned 60 fish, caught over 80 for sure. Biggest ranged from mid to low twenties, several in the teens. This was my now locally infamous "gar day". I must have hooked at least 8 to 10 gar that day. :confused2:

In the attaced pic of my truck bed covered in blues (not all 60), I'm standing on the left. The other pics are from the same day.

Attached Files:

4. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    lake palestine 2003. me and my stepdad took my little jon boat over to an island you could see from the bridge. wanted to catch enough for our annual fish fry for the faculty at the school districting i was working for. using catalba(think i spelled that right) worms, we boated one after the other. sat there for about two and a half hours until we just could fish no more. all said, we caught over 95 channels and on blue that went about 16 lbs. none of the channels where very large at all, all in the 1-2 lb range, but man, was that a blast. even got a battle scar to show for it when one of them little guys sunk a pec fin inbetween my thumb and pointer finger:that_hurt: ouch............

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Jason, those are some nice cats.

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    No dought about it, I've got to get my butt down to Texas where the real fish are. LOL
    Sparky

7. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    You done good...nice catch.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    At Thomas Hill Resevoir, I have sat and caught probably 100 small channels. Way too many to count anyway. The photo in my profile shows half of our catch from a trip to Mark Twain Lake this summer. We ended up with 20 blues, and 15 channel cats. Caught more blues, but that's all we could keep. Never caught 30 keepers in 3 hours before, and especially on rod 'n' reel. That is pretty amazing.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    My wife and I catch a lot of smaller fish in April like that. Last April on the 20th . We were catching fish for a fish fry. And caught 40+ (lost a lot also) in three hours that weighed 90+ lbs.
    That is fun fishing. Theres lots of days we would do that each day for weeks on end. And turn them back. Fish for 3 hours and have 100 lbs of eating size cats.
    Hope we wear them out again this year.
    Pete

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I got 21 cats last May during a rain in five hours of fishing. The biggest was a blue in the 30 pound range, I was fishing alone. Vern