Lots of bullhead catfish = no flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CatManAndy, Jul 19, 2006.

1. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    I heard a guy say that it theres a lot of bullhead in a spot then there is probably no big fish in that spot. Is that true?

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive heard similar things with lots of species of fish and some are true and some are not. Supposedly when gar move into an area some people say the bass/crappie leave. Same with striper when they move in, supposedly perch/crappie, small bass etc leave.

The thought is that these fish are larger, and will feed on the other species if they dont leave the area.

With that in mind, bullheads are the babies in the food chain, eating the smallest bits. They wouldnt scare off anything. But you might conclude that flatheads and a few larger species feed on bullheads, so if the bullheads are comfortable in an area it might not have other larger fish around to push them out.

None of our lakes have bullheads in them, only our creeks, and ive caught channel cats and bass in between bullheads so it didnt seem to make any difference.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think this is pretty true. When an area of water gets overcrowded with smaller fish, food becomes scarce and none of them really grow to be very big. That's why so many biologists have called for selective harvest of our fish. There's a bluegill pond near my house, really we call it the bait pond, that is just stocked like crazy full of 3-5" bluegills, a few years ago though before people caught all the big ones out of there, it was full of 7-9" bluegills. Now it's just full of a bunch of small ones that only people fishing for them with super small hooks can catch, and nobody comes over there to keep the small ones cept for me and my buddy for bait.

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I used to have a pond that was kind of like that (small bluegills in large number, but really nice fat bass lol) until they drained it. As for the small fish moving in, big fish moving out idea, I think that is true. The small fish can tell when there is something big in the area, and most like to head for the hills. So if you get a bunch of small stuff in the area, then there probably isnt much there.

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Bro in law and I fish a small lake around here. The biggest we've got in has been an 11# channel. Had some bigger but never got them into the boat. Catch several channel in the 4-5# range. We probably average around 3-6 bullheads every time we go. So go figure.

6. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ok thanks for your input.

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Lots of Bullheads = Well fed Flathead! There is probably plenty of fish there they are just full on all the bullheads around.

8. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    so rushing, do you suggest i use bullhead for bait?

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    flatheads will wipe out a bullhead population in a hurry. chances are if there's only bullheads in the area, there are no flatheads.

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Only bait I use is bullheads. Where are these bullheads? Lake? River?

11. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    these bullheads are in a river, and actually i found out tonight theres not just bullheads in there. me and my buddy caught four nice size channels . I planned on fishin for flatties about a quarter mile down the river where it starts to get full of log jams and holes and all that good stuff.

12. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    bullheads are my favorite flathead bait. them love em'! and i've noticed that places where you find alot of bullheads don't hold alot of flatheads (usually). sometimes you will get into some monster flatties in with the bullheads and I think that is just because u hit at the right time and the bullheads haven't moved out yet. but yes, definately try bullheads as bait!!! I like to fish them with as little weight as i can get away with and let them swim all over the place. your pole constantly bounces and your line moves but you know when a flattie hits it!