LOTS OF ACTION ON MWCD LAKE sept19

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rcbbracing, Sep 20, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We arrived to our spot around 6 and held her down tight for the night since we don’t have our boat finished up yet(winter project). There were four of us fishing. Me(david), Varmint Sniper(will), fishstick11(mikey), and my other bro adam. Baits hit the water over a creek channel by 8pm…Around 9pm my 7000i started to roll and didn’t slow down…Keep in mind I just got this setup out of catfish connection in the combo package and this would be the second time it got used…first fish hitting the clicker even. Well anyhow I picked the pole up, killed the clicker and locked er down tight. The hook was set and it was on. Felt like a good fish and I don’t like calling weights b4 seeing the fish but ide call her between 20-30lbs just by the feel. Well I got the hookset and had the fish on for all of 10seconds before the rod exploded into TWO PIECES! :angry:We tried our damnedest to get the fish out but he went for the bottom and when the rod broke the shredded fiberglass knicked my line and it was over just as quickly as it had begun. I do have to say im quite disappointed at this particular abu rod being the first hookset it had. Well I rebaited and waited and in the mean time around 10pm varmint sniper had a singing clicker as well and he locked er down and setback…thank god his luck was better than mine cause we landed the 22.6lb flatty. :big_smile:This was mindboggling that we hooked two fish in the same night in a mwcd lake before 11pm! We got excited and planned for the long haul. Adam (lil bro) had a decent run on a big live shiner(6inches) and the fish stopped running, we watched the bait fish freak out under the float and the supposed flathead never returned to finish his dinner. An hour or two later we decide that its time for him to check his bait cuz its should be dead BUT low and behold he was still wiggin out under this float…Then will figured it out. HE says "adam its time to reel in your bait". Yep sure enough the cat bobber and a circle hook was enough to set the hook in the miniature channel cat. The channel was about 12 inches and he aggressively took a 6 inch shiner :smile2:. So there was an entire rod wasted for over an hour. Then my 7000i goes off again and I also had a big shiner on. When the clicker SCREAMED fast I was scheptical of it being a flat but kept my hopes alive. I reared back set the hook and D#*&nit it was a 5lb channel cat. Sorry guys I was so discouraged that it wasn’t a flat that I forgot to take a picture for you all. This was our last run. Midnight hit and it was like a lightswitch! Off for for the night even though big fish rolled all night long. We packed up and headed home about 5:30am with Will giggling and me defeated and discouraged. Ive tried once a week since my last flathead in may and this was the first reel good run and defidently the first hook up ive had since then. Fellow brothers the fish are waking up and the feeding frenzy is RIGHT around the corner. Grab a lawn chair, throw net some bait, and let’s slay a flat or two! ITS ON!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. cat56

cat56 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Which lake were you at? I've been thinking about trying Clendenning. I worked up by Clendenning last saturday paving S.R. 799.

I fish Seneca A LOT

3. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    so you were at clendening? th guys at tappen had no luck. they were fishing the bridge by the barn.

4. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    watch what you say .The boc will be there .Im thinking of doing a open invite my way .Would be cool to see 100 rods down the river Bank this weekend.Good luck on the lake

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Could it get fished any harder? :smile2: rollo

6. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yes I do belive that we could of had another 20 rods out last night. I know the Muskium is holding alot of good fish .This is a area that no one ever fishes an it gets over looked .Could you see 100 rods in the water.
    An the same for the lake One guy cant target big fish by his self.He needs The boc boys to back him Dont you think so?Some one let the sercert out.

7. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Just want to say to all that it was an awsome night to be fishing what dave forgot to mention is that my flathead came off a 12in plus bullhead was hard keeping him planted but when i heard that clicker go i thought for sure it was 40 plus lbs lol dave did an awsome job of neting good thing he got him when he did cuz when i went to take him outta the net the hook was in the bottom of the net :eek:oooh: iam glad daves bro's got to see a real live flathead up close and personal just with it would have been dave who caught it hope ur dry spell ends before the ice shows buddie cant wait to do it again .....sniper

8. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wil i am still trying to remain optimistic for the time being. I mean its been since may that i have had a hook set into one and it happened last night SOOOoooo....im that much closer...If im persistant and dont give up a flathead will accidentally eat my bait thinking that its yours!lol

9. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    dave lol thats a good way of looking at it lol..................... SKIP we didnt go to clendening we went to seneca in a honey hole i know

10. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And boy am i a fan of OUR new honeyhole! lol

11. cat56

cat56 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a nice fish Will. I actually live on Seneca Lake.

I think I can tell from Dave's pics where you guys were fishing. I have always wanted to boat fish it.

I have had a lot of channels taking live bait lately at Seneca. I have caught a ton of channels lately 3-10 lbs. I did catch this 8 lb flat not to long ago from Seneca.

Attached Files:

12. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    nice fish man,,,,,dave i thought you would like that new hole lol

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  13. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thanks for sharing your story.I now know what rod i wont be buying .lol