Lot of rain lately, catfish or flathead?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by tasteslikechicken, Jul 15, 2009.

1. tasteslikechicken

tasteslikechicken New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    New member, first post. I've read a lot of post and really enjoy the site. Haven't fished much this year because of kids sports. Going out this weekend for flatheads using bluegill for bait in the Delaware. Wondering if this would be a waste of time since we've gotten so much rain lately. Would I be better off going for channels with stinky shad? I really need to come home with some fish so the old lady will believe I was actually fishing.

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    it's never a waste of time even if you don 't catch any, I usually use two poles for flats and one for channels, breaks the monotany. Welcome to the BOC

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. The Kansas Brothers are having a mini gathering at El Dorado in Aug. so if you get a chance to drop in you'll meet some people from your area who can point you in the right direction. Not to mention a great bunch and really good food:big_smile: Stay safe and good fishing!!!

4. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC, glad to have you here.

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    it wouldn't be a waste of time but ya cant just be out there for a cpl hours and think yer gonna catch somethin. it happens but not often. find some structure and let them gills swim. good luck to ya and let us know what happens. welcome to the BOC

6. tasteslikechicken

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanks! I'll have plenty of time this weekend to set some lines and also fish from the bank. I'm not a beginner, I've caught channel cat all my life, but never a big flathead. I've made several attempts throughout the years, but no success. I've always been too cheap to buy goldfish and when I did catch and use bluegill or sunfish, they always died on the hook. Guess I need to learn the proper way to hook baitfish.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Tom.

8. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the BOC TOM!!!

9. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Tom. Even though I know you I still wanted to say welcome. Good bunch of guys on here, have fun lots of stuff in the archives.

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i hook em just under the dorsal fin. make sure you dont go so low as to get into any organs. plenty of meat there so just hook it enough to keep it on. cats aint hook shy so make sure ya have plenty of exposed hook as to not prevent hookset. big bait dont always equal big fish but will help keep the little ones at bay. my 37 hit on a 3 in bait but my 11 1/2 hit on a 6 in bait so ya never know. btw, i never hooked the 11 1/2, he just didnt want to let go until i grabbed its jaw.

there have been many debates about goldfish vs. natural fish on which is better. ive caught on both but gills, perch and such just dont cost me anything.

11. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
    wlcome to the boc and good advice jj

12. tasteslikechicken

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanks for the help. I'll hit it hard this weekend and let you know if I get any. Probably won't be able to get on a computer for a week, but I'll do it as soon as I can.

Hi Wiley! What are you doing this weekend? Ought to hook up at some point and if you're going to be out near Perry.

13. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Welcome to the BOC. There bite'n again now that the spawn is over. Best fish'n tool I ever found for a married man was the Cell Phone. If I need help or bait I call the wife or friend (coverage). If I'm catch'n or want to stay out I turn the Cell Phone off and claim 'no coverage'.

14. nOct3rn4l

nOct3rn4l Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC, Tom.

15. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC! It is the best site on the net!:wink:

16. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC I also fish the Delaware quite a bit...Never had very good luck on flats on it but I know they are in there...A kid and his Grandpa caught one over 30 lbs out of the hole I fish sometimes I just havnt been there at the right time or right bait yet.....But Im going too......I hope.lol

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    try crappie:wink: green sunfish and bullheads will probally last the longest and be the most lively.

18. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Think you will be able to make the Mini Gathering?

19. Dead Red Rick

Dead Red Rick New Member

State:
    Kansas