Lot of everything - Little of nothing

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by rivercatsc, Jan 16, 2007.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Went to the winyah bay in georgetown, sc yesterday and caried my father with me. We reeled in fish all day long. We caught black drum, red drum, black sea bass, toad fish, speckled trout, croaker, bottle nose rays, sharks, and some kind of freaky looking sea slug. We fished at the georgetown offshore and nearshore reef and the north jeddies. We had a wonderful time but only caught one legal fish all day long. I reckon I should stick to the catfish.

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What exactly is a "bottle nose ray"? The only things we've been catching from the surf here in NC is dogfish(dogsharks) and clearnose skates, and the occasional puffer. The horndogs (spiny dogfish) are fun on light gear, but I'm ready to get after some drum or something again!

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Its a ray probably the same thing as the clearnose but I am from the country and we make alot of names up if we dont know.LOL Lots of drum but all were about the size of large bream.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

even with only one keeper fish still sounds like a fun trip. time well spent with your dad

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    lol...that's like the term bream. A true bream is a saltwater fish that is generally found most in Asia through Australia.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Learn something new everyday I guess. I thought everyhting I used for catfish bait were bream. I sure am glad the catfish are politically incorrect as I am. We had a wonderful time together I sure wish he would go for the cats like he does those saltys. He is a die hard salt water man.

7. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    At least the fish were biting. Even though they weren't legal bet it beat a long night of lazy cats not biting

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah that is why I agreed to go to the salt cause the catfish have had a serious case of lockjaw lately. I do have a couple of holes near there to catch cats in but never could convince the old man to let us go give it a whirl. Those sharks put up one heck of a fight though I had a ball reeling them in.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Recently all I've been catching are the spiny dogfish in the salt. Freshwater has been slack, but I don't have a boat either and my buddy with a boat just moved, so I'm catching where catching is to be had.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah we caught quite a few dogfish and 2 were pretty big about 4ft. Sure do put up a good fight.