LOST

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    During your travels or time on the water, have you ever been lost? I know with the present day GPS and Cell Phones this is less likely to happen. I was fishing a major lake one night and got sick. I turned the boat over to my friend to drive and fish. He was not familiar with the lake. I went to sleep and he moved around alot. When I awoke he was lost and I soon found out that I was lost. We fished until day light and I found my way back to dock. Total darkness can do some funny thing to you.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Way too much goin on on the banks of my river. Tons of land marks and bouys markin creeks and what not.

3. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Funny you should ask that. I was out about two weeks ago with the wife. We were on a lake that I had only been on once before. We stayed until after dark, trying to buy a bite. No luck! When we started back I thought I knew where we were going. It didn't take long to figure out that we had taken a wrong turn somewhere, when we ended up at the end of a long bay. It took the better part of an hour trying to get it sorted out, and that was only after stopping and asking directions. You know how us guys hate to ask directions!:confused2::embarassed::smile2:

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive always been able to get back but i dont fish very large waters either though

5. That happend to me on a big lake once too, once it's dark, it's a different story.:eek:oooh:

I went and bought one of those little hand held gps jawns so that s**t don't happen again!:big_smile:

6. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    On the brighter side of the note, being lost in the dark, convinced the better half that we needed the new HDS-8 that I ordered, to keep from getting lost the next time.:wink: She didn't like the idea of being lost in the dark on a lake you didn't know.:big_smile:

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    It is real ez to get turned around or lost while gigging for flounders in the sound ,you r looking down at a light an look up an nothing looks the same .All those little creeks thur the marsh grass look the same ,what is really bad is you can see where you want to go ,just don,t know how to get there

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Another story of my father in law. He and another man were fishing on the Chain of Lakes in northern Illinois one late evening and the fog moved in. Neither were familar with this lake. The temp began to cool and the fog was wet. All they had to cover with was a newpaper. They could hear much larger boats moving in the channels but was afraid to move around. They spent the night on the water and when the fog lifted the next morning they had drifted to a bank, just below a Pub.

9. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I have never gotten lost on the water with my boat, but hiking around the equestrian trails picking berries in my local State Park I lost track of time and got turned around once. I was loaded up with fishing gear, poles and tackle and a backpack, it was approaching dark, and I was running along the trail frantically trying to find some landmark I could identify. I found out what a bad idea that was when I fell and sprained my ankle. I had no compass or GPS or phone, I was just way way out where I had never been and I could not figure out which direction the lake was from where I was once the sun went down. It did get dark, but about an hour later I came out at the rear of the campground, which luckily I identified quickly because I had camped there recently. I was about a mile and a half away from where I wanted to be.

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    After spending years driving truck all over this country and never being lost,the lakes I fish are not that hard to find your way on,and I've never gotten lost on them,but I did get lost one time,when I was hunting with a friend,we got done hunting and found the truck,it was snowing so hard we couldn't see maybe 15 feet,it was a spot I have never hunted before and when we pulled out we went north instead of south and ended up finding a small town to get our bearings from after a two or three hr drive at about 10 mph. We hunted only 40 miles from home and rnded up about 100 miles from home then jumped on the highway and went home,main problem was I was just taking directions from my friend and not paying attention to where I was or what direction I was going,more of misdirected than lost really.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  11. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    been there too, Mickey. Night time isn't so bad. Seems I have the most troubles on those thick foggy mornings when it is daylight. Before I had GPS, there have been a couple times I had to anchor up and wait a couple hours because I lost my bearings.

Whats really scary is hearing bassboats going full blast close to you in the fog, just hoping that your not in their path.

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    That happend to me one time a few years ago in the woods while hunting. I was archery hunting and had a backpack and my climbing stand with me. I had only hunted the area a few times before and wasn't aware that there were 2 differant pipelines that ran through the area. When I was walking out of the woods I found the other pipeline and thought it was the one I walked in on. Guess what? It wasn't.:smile2: I got out of the woods at dark and it had started to rain. When I got back to my truck I was wiped out and soaked. The next day I got me a hand held Garmin GPS. The only thing I regret is that I didn't get a color display.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I know where i'm at now so that means i never been lost. Have had a nite i spent in the woods, wet,cold and sleepin on the ground,:confused2: Then there was the time we had to lay a paddle in the river just to see which way the current was runnin. Few foggy trips where i wandered aimlessly. Lost? Never happen to a woodsman like me.:smile2::smile2::smile2: Which side of the tree did they say moss grows on.:eek:oooh:

14. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Been there, done that. On my first fishing tournament me and my buddy Steven were going to a tournament i believe on Murray, when gas was like $3-4 dollars a gallon. We were going in his truck that got horrible mpg and he had me read the directions on the map.... After about 20 minutes in the wrong direction we realised that my map was upside down and we ended up in Georgia. Lets just say i'm still alive to tell this tale. :smile2:

15. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina

in my defense we didnt make it to georgia. thankfully but it was longer than twenty minutes. it was 86 miles to the lake and 236 miles to get back home:crazy: i still remember that for some reason

16. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    There have time been times where I got all turned around, One time my daughter and I were going to the duck blind and the fog was so thick we ended up at the launch three times, The blind was just a few hundred yards north east of the launch, I made the decision to travel the bank to the blind and we ended up in a cove with a over lapping tree line just before the blind and the fog and light blended the background all together and was lost in a area about 100yds going in circles looking for the way out, since then I have a gps and compass, I knew where I was just could not get to where I wanted to be, fog on the water is most disturbing.

17. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Oh Yea, When I moved south and got a boat, I had the need to fish the central part of the resevoir here. 58,000 acres with NO houses or docks. I had got so involved ridin around watching my graph like a tv it got dark. It was a LONG way back. Now after a years on it's alot more fun getting others lost.

18. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Worse situation I got into was hog hunting on the Altamaha river with my son-in-law we left Clay Hole and crossed over through Stud Horse to other side.I am diabetic and after hiking into swamp a good way I could tell my sugar was getting low.I was a little loopy and put in wrong waypoint to get back to boat.Actually put in one from Clay Hole clear across river.Ended up stuck on a point between a deep creek and the river.Tide was coming up phone would not work.I was not making any good decisions and thought I would swim back.Believe me there is no way I would have made it. Luckly I rememebered 2 way radio and tried that, got my son-in-law and told him where I was, he releazed what was going on .He told me don’t move I am coming to get you. No way I would be here today without him.

19. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

I was out one night and the fogg droped in very thick and fast, I was about three miles from the boat ramp, no gps. All I had to go by was the bank and my lensatic compass. took three hours to get back to the ramp.

20. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Fog can sure mess you up. I am fortunate that the Lakes that I fish on a regular basis aren't too difficult. I have ended up in the wrong cove a time or two and wondered how they moved the ramp while I was fishing.....:eek:oooh:

To me, the worst is night fishing on the coast. It's imperative to have a compass there.