Lost tackle box...know what stinks ???

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by catfishparadise, Feb 4, 2008.

1. catfishparadise

catfishparadise New Member

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    When you have your tackle box filled with about $300 worth of lures, weights, tools, etc. and while you are driving down the road your tailgate falls down and the tackle box falls out. Then you don't notice it until the next morning and you found where it fell out by a little bag that was also in the back of the truck but no tackle box. So I have to start completely over with everything. That sucks!

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yep, that sucks!

I lost mine off the top of my car a couple years ago. An hour up the road I realized it was missing. Drove like a fool to get back there and got lucky, no one had seen it sitting beside the road.

The whole drive back I was counting the price to replace years of collecting tackle, came up with a figure of near $600 to replace it all.
    I was so tickled to get it back I wasn't even worried about the broken box.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Dang that does suck. Sorry about the box. Hit Wal-Mart maybe for some sale stuff ?

-Jim-

4. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    You got lucky Danzig. I wish I was that lucky but i guess not :sad2:

5. Crazy_Cooter

Crazy_Cooter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have lost big like that before. I had my tackle box sitting on top of my livewell (even with the gunnel) when a boat came by real close and threw a big wake into my side. Boat went up, boat came down, tackle box went over the side.

I had about 3 lbs of lead in the box so it sunk really fast. I couldn't do much but watch in pain. The good news was that the lid was closed, so if somebody finds it I guarantee it will make their day. Good quality stuff, ball bearing swivels, Gamakatsu hooks (at least 100) 3, 4, and 5 oz. no-roll sinkers, and all the other stuff catfishermen can't live without.

I don't like to keep all my eggs in one basket anymore, I only take along with me the stuff I know I will use, plus 10% for Murphy and his dumb law.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I lost three rods and two tackle boxes once when I stopped ina bar for a few brews. Dont do that any more,lost over 500.00 worth of stuff in 30 min.

7. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Dang I guess a lot of fishermen have their stories of "lost" tackle and equipment. I never realized it until just now.
    And yeah Murphy and his dumb law are stupid haha

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Not only lost but people stealing rods etc out of your boat or truck. So just a small reminder, I hate to read posts on these subjects. Our equipment means a lot to us ; )

Lock it up !!! Avoid the heartbreak

-Jim-

9. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Yeah thats for sure!
    For now I'm definitely going to make sure that all my gear is safe and in good hands :big_smile:

10. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I have had the lock on the cap of my pick-up broken and 4 rod and reels plus 2 tackle boxes stolen in my driveway Thank God for home owners ins.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jacob post an article in the news paper. maybe an honest person found it. Did you have your name or phone number listed in the box?

12. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Mickey, i sure didnt. but i will on my new one =]
    its definitely a must now and the smart thing to do

13. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    About a year ago, I saw a guy turn a corner in his truck with no tailgate and he lost 7 rod and reels out the back and he didn't even know it, I stopped and picked them up and chased that guy down and gave it all back to him and he was surprised that someone was honest enough to give them back, he handed me $20 but I told him to keep it so instead he asked for my number so he could call me to go fishing with him sometime.
    That suited me fine. Since then we have been fishing together about 8 times.

:wink::big_smile:

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    that does suck !!!!!!!!!:angry:

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sorry to hear this. I blew one out of a bassboat a couple years back. Thankfully i didn't flip the boat turning around and the plastic boxes kept it afloat.Tackle ain't cheap.

16. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Yup, starting all over on my tackle is the last thing that I would want to do but I don't have a choice now. :sad2:

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've only got a few things to say about fishing tackle.
    Nobody that I have ever seen leaves their Browning sweet 16 in the back of the truck at Walmart.
    Never seen anybody leave their bow and arrows in the back of the truck at a boat ramp while they were off bankfishing somewhere out of sight.

I have a simple philosophy. If you value it, treat it like your youngins.
    I dont leave my youngin in the back of the truck while I shop or fish.
    I dont leave my youngin in the truck while I sleep comfortably in my house.
    I look after my youngin. I protect my youngin.
    You will NEVER see my fishing tackle in the back of the truck unless I'm in the truck or standing right beside the truck. Not even for a minute. It aint happening.

Its no longer 1954 or even 1974 when we went on vacation and left the house doors unlocked.

Protect it like a youngin if you value it.

18. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah that sucks.

I had one stolen a few years ago right off my porch had about $300-$350 worth of tackle in it. That really sucked to so i feel your pain brother.

19. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Yeah that is how I am about my tackle, but I was in my truck when it happened but I didnt notice it until the next morning because it was night when it happened.

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I hate to hear about your loss Brother. Hope you are able to recover it!