lost skeg

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Kutter, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Bob, I normally run with a River Runner (Google it, Cabela's sell's it) on my 1986 50 HP Johnson. However, recently (I have no idea how), I lost it and the skeg. I have heard that it is possible to have another skeg welded on. I don't doubt it is possible, but I have my doubts on whether it will hold. Only other 3 choices are to buy a used lower unit, buy a new lower unit, or buy a new motor, none of which I can do at this time. Please offer your opinion on welding it.

Also, seeing as how I don't know when it happened over Catstock weekend, I could have been using the boat most of the time that weekend without a skeg. Other than the fact that running without it endangers the prop and lower unit, does it hurt anything? I sure didn't notice any changes to how the boat reacted or steered.

Thanks

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    A new skeg welded on will hold up just fine from what I've seen.

Get it done before it costs you a prop, or the gears in your lower unit. You really ain't going to like that expense. :crying:

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thanks Bob, I'll take the Boat Dr's advice and keep the boat out of the water till it's fixed.

4. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    yodaddy, I have seen a welding/braising rod advertised for home repair for aluminum on the internet, but when I asked a local mechanic, he said he was aware of it but there was a heliarc welding shop nearby and he KNEW they could fix it!

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I have a friend that was backing his trailer down a hill and forgot to tilt his motor up. Well needless to say his skeg left a nice gouge mark in the black top before it snapped off. He had it welded back on and it has held up just fine so far.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That's similar to what I already had. The one I had was wider at the bottom horizontal piece. It also bolted on. Problem is, whatever broke the skeg, broke fairly flush with the lower unit housing, not near enough to bolt something onto.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Kutter, an ebay search for skegs in the boat part section produced about 10 different options. Good luck!