Lost Power...HELP!!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Catfish_Calvin, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Well my boat has ran good for 2 years straight. Never had any problems with it other than normal maintenance. I had it out yesterday to catch some crappie. It was the last night i planned on having it out until March or April. I was heading back to the dock. I had it wide open and all of a sudden it lost power. Didnt make any distinct noises or anything. It just went from about 30 mph to 10. It revs up just fine. Anyone know what it could be? Its a 1991 60 HP Mariner. Buddy of mine had a problem like this and it was a coil? Any help would be great guys! Not in a big hurry, just want to get it fixed for next season. Thanks!

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    sounds like a power pack to me

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You said it still goes and revs up... check for a spun prop. If the power pack was bad, it would be bad all the way. Virtue of the fact it does go about 10, I'd say it was the rubber core in your prop thats disintegrated.

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    prop probally like he said if it revs check spun prop or look at plugs 1 might not be firing

5. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I did spin the prop after i got the boat out of the water. It seemed like it spun alot more freely than before? But maybe it was just me? Thanks for the replies!

6. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I took my boat to the shop and the guy said the compression is fine but a piston was flaking so he was going to tear it apart. Everyone says this guy is the best and most honest around so i told him go ahead. He called me today and said hes going to have to replace 3 pistons and bore it out and replace the gaskets. He is also going to take out the oil sending unit so i can just mix my own gas now. He said all together it will cost 1100 dollars. I told him to go ahead and do it. Does that sound like a fair price guys?

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    For parts, labor, and machine work, I'd say that sounds like a fair price. It should be comforting to know that you have "the best" guy in your area working on it.

Bill in SC

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A fair price. Gosh, sounds awful low to me... so I guess it is a fair price. LOL

9. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Well that makes me feel better. Thanks guys

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    No doubt man, when you consider he has to pull the power head, bore out cylinders?!! My god I wish that dude lived around here. Sounds like you got a good man down there.:wink:

11. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Will it run strong for quite a while after being rebuilt?

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Probably won't be able to tell the difference from it and a new motor, far as performance goes. It's looks may be a little rough, but that should have nothing to do with how it runs. Just make sure you keep the correct oil mixture, and every time you even think of the impeller, you may want to replace it. LOL. I know, for a fact, impellers are cheaper than a rebuild. If you don't all ready have one, I'd put a temperature guage in the motor also. Don't just rely on the audible warning 'caue when you hear it, its too late.

13. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    well for an engine that was running fine and several people said that it sounded like you may have spun the hub out of your prop. i sure couldn't understand a complete rebuild. although i am not an outboard mechanic it sounds like that mechanic played the old automatic transmission trick and found something wrong and better fix it before it turns into a major problem. so u pay for an overhaual when all you needed was a new hub in your prop. :wink:

14. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Im not sure what he is calling a "flaking piston" the pistons dont have any kind of coating on them.they are cast alumanum. I am unsure about why it needs to be bored over and new pistons if the compression is good
    $1100 sounds pretty cheap for all that:eek:oooh:

15. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Got the boat back today. He showed me the piston. A chunk of it broke off the top. He said they always replace all 3 when one goes bad. Had it bored. Fixed the trailer lights. Replaced the aeriator. Changed the plugs. Replaced the bow roller. Gave her a good greasin'. And a couple other things but I cant remember without lookin at the reciept. 1110 dollars.

Im anxious to get out and fish but I cant get in a hurry. Gotta go through a break in process. 2 hours of 1\4 throttle. 2 hours half throttle. 2 hours 3\4 throttle and ETC. Mixed the gas double the ratio for the first 18 gallons. Took her out on the river today and idled around the banks. Picked up 7 duck decoys, a nice camo lifejacket, and the head off a women manican. Maybe a new hood ornament? :smile2:

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Calvin it doesn't matter what it cost to do it . The only thing that matters is the fact that you seem to be happy with it. Enjoy it my friend.:cool2:

17. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a 1997 90 horse Johnson that was delivered to me for repair. Bad compression and one cyl had the piston and cyl badly scored. I thought the water pump impeller had gone out and caused the engine to overheat. That was not the case as the impeller looked fine upon removal. I ask a mechanic at a boat repair shop what could have caused the engine to overheat. He replied that he rebuilds several of those a month and the cause is the fuel. He said that engine's timing was set at the factory to run on regular fuel and today all the fuel is a blend of ethanol by at least a 10% mix. He said the timing needs to be reset if you expect the engine to last. I had the block bored and new pistons in .20 thousands oversize sent in and am in the process of rebuilding the engine. Has anyone else had a problem with ethanol as I hear they are thinking of mixing more of it with the gas in the future. Catfishjon

18. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glad to hear you got your boat back and have had her on the water already. You have yourself a new motor now. Just break her in the way the mechanic told you to and she'll last for a long time. I would imagine that Catfish Kenny would like to have that woman mannequin head to put on his "River Rader".:wink:
    Take care and TTYL

19. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il

I was also told that mine was bad because of the fuel mixture that my oil unit was sending. He said to use 87 grade only.

20. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Man i hated breaking in my new motor.....was the longest 10 hours of my life. Good luck with the patience thing.