Lost poles

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by BigCatSteve, Jan 26, 2006.

1. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    One day i was fishing for carp with some bodies. I had my buddy's pole inbetween my legs by the chair. It took the time of me picking up my pepsi to take a drink for the carp to take the pole in the water. I laughed as my buddy was screaming WHat WAS THAT!!!! anyone else have some good stories?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well I dont have any good stories about that. But one day at a saltwater pier I was using one of my dads small poles to catch bait and it had a little sabiki rig on it. And I just put it down for a second and it flew over the side of the pier. I dont know what happen, I guess a big fish hit that little sabiki rig or something....Only took once and I never put a pole down again, and never will.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    ive lost a couple poles uselly when im off screwing around with something else and not paying any mind to them come back and :confused: well now when im fishing and useing a rod holder or leaning them onto the railing i cut me some string and tie a good piece onto it but leave it long enough so i can fight the fish tell i can untie it can be a pain in the @$$ but saves your pole from flyin into the water uselly will only do this when the bite is slow and i want to wander off

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Debi and I were sitting at a park bench at a local river resort. I had my rod resting against the bench, and under the tabel, between us. The rod shot up in the air a good 10 feet and headed down the levy, I stumbled after it, spraining my ankel, but managed to grab the reel as it entered the water! After a bit of a fight, I landed a 15 pound carp! I lost about 6 weeks of work, due to the sprain, to save a carp and a 40 dollar fishing setup!:crying:

5. CATCANDO

CATCANDO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    At the Lake of the Ozarks this spring we had several poles out fishing for crappie and we were also running a few jugs. Well I know that most people don't think that running jugs is much of a sport but when you are running them in a paddle boat it gets to be a bit interesting. We were sitting on the dock and saw one of the jugs go all the way under so we started chasing it well the guys on the dock were watching us a laughing instead of watching our poles. Well after chasing this jug for a good amount of time we finnaly cought it and had about a 10lb flat on it. When we got back to the dock I started counting poles and one was gone. Well several hours later a bobber showed up so I got in the paddle boat and went out and sure enough my pole was at the other end, no fish though the line was broken after the bobber.

6. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    5 years back or so, me and my buddy were fishing down on the Ohio river. The one spot we go to has huge rocks all over the place. Well, he set up his rod and leaned it against this boulder that was probably about 4 feet tall. His rod was on about a 45 degree angle. He also pegged it underneath another smaller rock. Well, he walked away and about 5 minutes later, I heard a loud crash and sure enough it was his rod sliding up the steep rock and into the water never to be seen again. I couldn't help but laugh! It was hilarious watching him run around in a panic!

7. willisjj

willisjj Guest

We were fishing at one of those "urban lakes" down in Phoenix last year, set my pole down next to me and before I had even leaned back up in my chair my entire pole was gone in the blink of an eye. It was unbeleivable how quick that thing was jerked into the water, and that even with my hand so close to it, I was unable to grab it. I did see which direction it was headed when it hit the water and quickly cast that direction with another pole I had handy and managed to snag the line with a treble hook I had on it. I pulled the line in and finally managed to get my pole back, but nothing was on it. I got lucky on that one I guess, but it pays to either have your baitclicker on or hold your rod in your hands at all times. I have also used a bungee cord from somewhere on my rod or reel to my chair leg when I wasn't able to keep a hold of it for some reason.

8. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Some friends and I were fishing for goos (drum) one afternoon, enjoying a cold one and just messing around. We had caught several and were throwing them back. I reeled in my line, which was rigged Carolina style, and layed the rod down in the bottom of the boat. I reached into the cooler to grab another beverage and heard a clank. There went my $100 rod and reel over the side of the boat and into the water. Apparently the leader was long enough to go over the side and the bait was sitting in the water. I sat there dumbstruck for a few minutes and then couldn't help but laugh. My friends couldn't believe that I handled that so well. I simply said "Oh well, what can I do about it now?" I had another rod and reel and we all tried to snag the one that went over but it proved fruitless. I chalked it up to a lesson learned and maybe one day I'll catch a big ol' goo that has some 'jewelry.'

Hey, I should get GooManDu up this way. He has that goo magnetism....:p

I think I would be more heartbroken if I lost one of my catfish rigs than I was when I lost that light rig.

9. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Quite a few years ago a friend and I were fishing when a rather large Carp dragged my fishing rod into the river. My friend dived into the water and grabbed my pole with the fish still on the end of the line. He then gave me the rod and I fought the fish to shore and my friend using his net netted this fighting machine. The net slipped out of his hands and the fish reeled off about 60 feet of line headed once more to deep water. Well after another hard fight I landed this fish and yes it was still in the net. I was laughing so hard that my friend got mad and went home slopping wet but happy he got his net back.

10. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Another time my same friend and I were fishing again when he got a huge strike bending his rod almost in two. I was smoking then and got very excited flipping my cigarette and you guessed it into my friends line burning through the taunt line causing him to fall straight back on his rear end. I played it that the fish broke his rotted line, but he wasn't buying that story at all. I took quite awhile for him to start talking to me again.

11. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Same friend and I went to a store where he bought a brand new cat fishing rod while I bought the bait. Getting into the his car I accidental closed his trunk on the tip of his new rod. Not wanting to get my head banged I didn't tell him. When he started to get the rod ready there was no tip on his new rod. Before he could say anything, "I said dang you went and bought a rod with a broken tip on it". I said, "why didn't you check it out first before you bought the rod"? He said, " I could of sworn it had a tip on it". Well he had to drive about 20 miles back to the bait store to exchange the rod while I fished and as matter of fact caught a few fish. When he got back I asked, "did you check the rod first before buying it"?

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Thomas, Remind me not to go fishing with you, LOL!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    You took the words right out of my mouth.....LOL:p

14. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    That's some big bait! What size hook are you using?
    :p

15. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Jamey, thats hilarious!

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    About 10 years ago I was night fishing a neighborhood lake thats known for cats and crappie. I had 3 poles out and this was before I found Abu's and baitclickers. I had all 3 poles set and resting on small sticks for rodholders. While I was enjoying my 3rd or 4th or 5th barley pop I hear one of my bells ringing on a pole. I snatch it up and reel in a nice 5lber or so. While Im taking the hook out I hear a second bell ringing and bam, another nice channel. Now theres only one pole still in the water and I have two poles and two nice channels laying on the ground and I have no light whatsoever.
    I start paying attention to the two cats when I hear the third bell. I jump up and turn around and trip over a pole or catfish. Bam right on my face, lol. As Im getting up I hear a stick crack and hear my pole hit the water. Well Im not gonna let a fish take my pole so easy and I jump in after it. What I didnt know was I tangled up in line with a pole and a catfish. I trip and fall face first yet again in the water while im searching for the pole. I never did find it so I grab both poles let the two cats go and go and tell my friends why Im all wet.

17. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    many years ago before i could afford a reel and rod my wife and i were fishing a gravel pit with cane poles i cut myself. my wife set one pole and turned to bait another when the first jumped into the pond. we sat there several hours watching the pole glide around and occasionally standing on end and going under. i still kid my wife about losing her pole.

18. juniormathis

juniormathis New Member

State:
    verona,ms
    i had one laying on ground by me and it went in water i dove in and got it and another time i had one in a rod holder and a cat pulled it in for me but i grabed it before it wnnt under water hnd had a 8 lb cat still on it

19. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    When I lived in Minnesota I was ice fishing in a dark house with two large holes cut out of the floor. If you've never been in one you can watch the bottom of the lake just like a TV it is lit up so nice. Anyway a couple beers might of been drank and my friend was watching his pole and hole and he calmly asked, "Did you just lose your pole"? I looked around and replied, "yes, I guess I did, it isn't here", he said "I just saw it go by down there" pointing down his hole. A northern we suspect had taken my bait, pole and all down and was moving so fast it just planed along behind him.

Another story, my son and I were fishing a lake where they had a carp contest going where if you catch a tagged fish you win some money. I have always been a strong believer that when you take a kid fishing, he fishes his pole, not me. Anyway he had his pole leaned up against a concrete block that someone had left behind and was looking for something behind us when his pole starts heading for the lake. Now it's only a cheap rod and reel, so I don't make a move for it but yell at him that his rod his heading in and he comes running down and barley gets the pole before the water gets too deep. He wades back and makes some hook setting motions and I'm thinking, Yeah right after that its still there, I don't think so. It was still there and he fought that fish for about 20 minutes and people were gathering watching him and yelling at me to help him but they didn't know that while he was only 7 or 8 he had been fishing for 1/2 of those years and knew what he was doing so I just told them, it's his pole, his fish, his fight and let him have at it. He got it in a 15lb buffalo carp and won $50.00 to boot. Wasn't cash but "city dollars" good at any store in town so he had a shopping spree of $50.00, anything he wanted, had the time of his life but remembers most that HE caught it, not me.

20. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    My first fishing trip i had ever been on when i was 6 or 7 with my dad and when we got there he said no watch your pole because ther are some monster carp in here(i was fishing with just nightcrawler)well i was siting there holding my pole and he asked if i was hungary when i put the pole down to reach for my sandwich and pop my pole when flying into the water,i started crying and dad was laughing so hard.