Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
April of last year someone poisoned my male boxerand this morning I found my female boxer dead. Vet said it was a heart attack. She was 12 yrs old.

I want to get a couple young dogs from the pound. Has any one on here got dogs from the pound and how did they work out? I want a couple in the back yard to keep theives from carring every thing off and to have as company when we are out side.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
That sux about your dog.

Your decision to adopt a dog from the pound is a good one I think. They usually have their vacs and are neutered. I've never got one from the pound, but every dog that I've had was rescued from a bad situation. They seem to know and appreciate the help, and return the favor with years of love.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss... I just had to put my pointer, Jake, to sleep, after Christmas
it's always just too sad...

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
It's always sad to loose a friend and family member. I've lost a few of those loyal pets, over the years.
Yeah, do the adoption.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
sorry to hear of your buddy passing,jim.i've never adopted from the pound,but it's a great idea,they'll be fixed,and all shots.my neighbor adopted,great dog.the same day he got him,was the day he was to be put down.you'll be saving a dog or 2 from certain death,reps to ya.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Sorry to hear that Jim. My black lab died about six months ago. He was almost 15 years old. The best thing you can do is to go get you another buddy and getting one from the pound sounds like a great idea. My new buddy really helped me get over my loss. Hang in there brother.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Yes, try to find a young pound dog or puppy. Those ol' mixed breeds make good dogs, and usually turn out to be good watchdogs.

Bill in SC

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
My condolences Jim,
My wife drug home a three year old shepherd from the pound, one of the best dogs we ever had. Tried a full grown black lab once, had to take him back, couldn't get the wild out of him. You never know the dogs history that your taking home. I never got a pup from the pound, was always a friend had pups, or bought a pure bread. Remember that any pup brought in to this world needs a good home, the ones in the paper will end up at the pound maybe and you could save them a little trouble, just a thought.

·
Registered
14,583 Posts
Jim were sorry to hear of the lost of your pal. I would not be afraid of a pound dog, if I had no preference of purebred. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
if you try the internet look under recure dogs have gotton 3 on there great dogs who need homes everytime i look i get another so i do not go there now have a yorkie who is 12 she will be gone soon got a sheppard mix best dog i ever had and we got a newfounder mix who is a trip good luck robert

·
Registered
597 Posts
Jim, sorry about your Lose. We got a Chow Mix about 14 years ago from the pound and he is a great Dog.. When we moved to our new home we let Him stay at my Inlaws house,and they got attached to him , so I let him stay there. We still see him just about every day.. He dang sure want let anyone in the yard that don't belong.

·
USCA Jailhouse Lawyer
15,071 Posts
Jim, sorry to hear about your buddy. My dog is half boxer and half bird dog - a good combination. She loves to snuggle, but she looks like Cujo when somebody bad comes along. The adoption sounds like a good option. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. we have rescue dogs from the pound or from a rescued anmial shelter at pet smart they have several types from pups to grown so check your local pet smart store or something simlar or the pound

·
Registered
500 Posts
Our Sheppard passed and we got a Jack Russel from the pound. My wife did not like small dogs AT ALL. Well after we got Bailey and had him for awhile we got Hevan who is a pure bread Jack just like Baley and now have Moses who is a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix that was a rescue (He looks like a long haired Sheppard but he is only about 10 inches tall!) Bailey passed away the end of last year and will be missed!
Jack Russel Terriors we found are SEVEARLY protective of "their" property and they allow you to stay there! HAHA! Ours attacked a cow that walked into our yard!! But at the same time they do not mess with our cattle!
The BEST guard dog I ever had was a pound dog, She was a lab mix. ANYONE that wanted to could walk right into the yard and do what they wanted as long as they did not try to go into anything, the issue came up when they tried to leave!! We had come home several times to find the UPS man, Door to door sales men, and even a Sherriffs officer in our fromt porch waiting for us to come home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts