Lost my new rod in the Susquhanna River!!!!

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by buddah, Jun 21, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I was up at 5:30 and in the canoe at 6:00 with my wife who is a pretty knowledgeable fisherman too anyway... I hooked into a BIG smallmouth and reeled it in. Whilst I was admireing it I took the jitterbug out of it's mouth and threw the lure overboard, ya' know so it wouldnt snag anything on board, and it sank like a stone! It was a topwater lure so I looked down and breifly watched my new 200.00 Fenwick sink to the bottom!!! I jumped out of the canoe to retreive it and ruined my cell phone too. I couldnt locate my rod but I am going out later to find it. I cant beleive I didn't notice that it had slipped off my lap and I had'nt noticed. I am sickened by the loss. Has this ever happened to anyone in the BOC? Or am I the only dumby here :) I lost a 6'6" Fenwick IM7 cross scrim graphite rod and a Shimano Symetre reel...OUCH huh? Just thought I'd share my misfortune.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That sucks brother, I feel your pain though. Lost my rig last Saturday fishing.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    nope cant say i have ever lost a rod and reel by not noticing it slipping off my lap. lost rods and reels due to low life thieves.

4. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    buddah, your problem was the expensive rod. Leave the gold rods to the fly fishermen, they're too stupid to know the difference. LOL. Years ago I was fishing with my dad and two uncles just below Lewistown in the Juniata. My uncle younc had a habit of drinking a few beers and going to sleep. (We fish at night) About 2:00 in the AM he got a real good bite and we yelled at him to wake up, he did just in time to see his rod go into the river. I swear to God this is true. Ten minutes later I got a bite, I proceeded to reel in his rod that a carp had drug across my line. By the way, the carp was still hooked on his rod. Now I told him that the rod and fish belonged to me because he lost them, but he didn't agree.:big_smile:

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I agree with Tim on this one. I dont own any rods that are very expensive. I dont ding people for buying expensive rigs though (to each his own...) I hear they feel different and you can cast further and all that good stuff but I have never seen anybody catch a fish that I couldnt with my walmart speacials:wink:.
    Sorry to hear about your loss though. I hope that you are able to find it if you do go back to look.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sorry to hear of your loss. And it wasn't a cheap loss.Hope you can find it .Never have lost one while on my lap but have lost them by being pulled in by a fish. but that only happened once. Now I use pole holders.Good luck on your search. Let us know if you happen to find it.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Man, sorry for your loss! I hope you find it! I like using quality gear too and feel your pain!

8. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I haven't but my sister lost the spool off her brand new reel out on the lake

9. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    can't get ya another rod but will give you rep points to make you feel a lil better

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have donated 3 rod reel combos to the Ohio river due to tightlining or forgetting to set the reel on free spool. One of them I was able to retrieve with a heavy weight and a big treble hook tied above the weight about 3" on another pole using the snagging technique.

11. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hope you find your gear brother. If I lost one of mine I would be sick for a week at least.

12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Sorry for your loss brother, not sure what to say beyond that...

I use remotely moderate equiptment, but I don't feel price is an issue here... The fact is you lost a rig... THAT SUCKS

Best of luck retrieving it!!! Hopefully it has a big one attached!!!

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That does suck. I don't have any gear that expensive, but I'd be made if I lost something worth $120 too! I hope you find it when you get out there.

14. Outlw36

Outlw36 New Member

State:
    Prineville, Oregon
    You guys are all missing the worst part of it. It was bad enuff that he lost an expensive rig, but the worst part is happened while fishing WITH his wife! She's gonna hold that over him for ages to come lol.

Good luck finding it though.

Jim Allen

15. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Geez I shouldn't say this, I have never lost a R&R. I use rod holders now but use to use sticks, guess I just got lucky, had a few make a break for it but I was on em like stink on manure. Sorry about your loss and the compound loss of cell phone also. Good luck finding it.

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thank you for all the replies! I should have mensioned that the rod was a gift for finishing chemotherepy. (and by the way I love to flyfish...grrr LOL) anyway all is not completely lost, it happened near my dads farm and he says he has a few of his fisherman buddies out looking for it! I think I'll just use my clubs from now on that way if I lose it, it will be no big loss. and thank you for the rep points, I feel a little better anyways.
    And yes my wife is rubbing it in good...uh~boy.... :confused2:

17. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    have you tried to snag it with treble hooks and a weight you may catch the line if you know where it went in the water.