Lost my first decent fish of the season

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Chief, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    decided to try circle hooks this season and so far its cost me a keeper. had 3 lines in the water all 3 with cut bluegill. sitting there talkin to my buddy when wham my #3 rod bends over and almost touches the ground and the fish shot upstream. when i grabbed the rod and started to reel him in it was like he just let go. i would of thought that the amount of tension he put on the line and rod would of been enough to turn and sink the hook, but i guess it didnt.. dang!

2. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i dont know about them circle hooks. i'de just stick with the j-hooks and cross their eyes

3. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Clayton

How large of bluegill were you using? It sounds like the cat just grabed the bluegill and ran and never had the hook in it's mouth. Another issue could have been not having the gap of the circle hook clear. One key factor to using the circle hooks is to make sure you are using a hook big enough for the bait and still have the gap open. I use 8/0 and 9/0 hooks anytime I am using cut shad or bluegill.

Anyhow, sorry you missed the fish but do not give up on the circle hooks they work.

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Don't Feel Bad I've Lost 2 Decent Fish This Year W/circles Both When I Was About To Get Them Out Of The Water After Reeling Them In. I'm Generally A Kahle Man But This Year Is My 1st Year Trying Circles And Every Catfish I've Caught This Year Has Been W/circles.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I feel your pain, I lost a 50-lb class flathead last year at the bank while using circle hooks..I have learned not to horse a fish in with circles:sad:

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I lost what would have ben my PB due to a bad knot. I will give credit to Flathunter, he has shon me a very good knot to use. Yes, he is good for something I guess.:0a31:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    man since i switched ill never look back. circles are great. once ya master them thell stick 90% and get em in. i just let a buddie try them and he wants some now.

i lost my first one of the year too but look at this thread.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7612&d=1144783428

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7613&d=1144783428

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7775&d=1145127509
    all with circles. we caught 33 in three trips. well caught more but cleaned 33.

8. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Guest

Last year I switched to circles. Lost a few fish because 40 years of setting the hook is a hard habit to break. Once I got used to letting the pole dance for a while, I did better. The only problem I'm having this year is that they aren't hitting it hard. I guess the water is still cold. Last weekend I'd get a few hits and then nothing. When I reeled in to check bait it was a bare hook.