lost my bird dog

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by massa_jorge, Aug 6, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well my bird dog festus, a gsp, had to get put down. he had been showing a lot of aggression toward my family members lately for some reason. i had him in and out of the vet getting tests done and he was perfectly healthy, no disease. momma went out back to water the dogs and he lit into her. i won't tolerate that from anything or anyone. i won't feed something that is dangerous to my family. we had done the obedience thing too, and thought it worked, but i guess not. bird season is going to be rough. thanks for reading.

2. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    That's terrible news, but I'm feeling for ya. You gotta watch out for your family and other people. It's a shame the doc couldn't determine if there was a treatable problem. Don't feel guilty about it and don't wait too long to find your next best friend.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thats gotta be tough.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm really sorry to hear. That's got be hard to make that decision to put him down. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

-Jim-

5. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Same thing here man after 11 years i had to let my dog go...
    he had seizures his whole life from 2 months old to the day before i had him put down. And he had a stoke on the last one and he couldn't walk so i couldn't watch him suffer.

Walked in cost me 165 cause i wanted him cremated he was like a brother to me only thing i had growing up threw all the rough times and when my mother pass he was my comfort.I held him while he fell a sleep and then 3 mins after his heart stop and i lost it couldn't even pay they people i gave them 200.00 and didn't wait for the change.

Dont give up get another dog raise him and keep going .Just remember when your teaching the new dog ......You old dog tought you how to train the new dog HeHe...

I feal your pain man keep your head up.[​IMG]

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I had my last female cremated too. My kids and I were laying on the floor hugging her crying as she passed away here at the house. She was family and I couldn't stand the thought of her being tossed in some unknown place. I covered her up with her favorite blanket and took her to the vet the next morning to be cremated. Now she is right here with us sitting on my entertainment center...my heart still aches from missing my ole gal, and I don't think that will ever go away.

-Jim-

7. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    yup people say its just a dog.....

Those are the people i feal bad for ... I now have a bullmastif ?SP? hes a big o dumb bell ... lol big as a horse smart as a cinder block but hes still my buddy.

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm really sorry to hear that man. I know how attached a man can get to his dog. keep your head up.

9. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Sorry to hear about ya'lls companions, I know it is sad... But sometimes the right and necessary thing to do. I have had to sit and watch my mom have 2 of hers put down due to medical issues, the first one I was very close to, I trained her for the most part by myself and loved her dearly and it was very tough to let her go. The second one was more by my moms hands, he was close to her...

Didnt know dogs could diabetes until these 2 came along, and they both had it, ended up blind, and then lost hearing.

Sorry about your losses fellas, good luck on your next companion!

10. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Just stumbled on this thread. Sorry to hear about your losses Jordan and Rob. I know how you feel though. Ive lost 2 beagles and a choc. lab in the past couple years. One of the beagles just died from old age. She was a great dog, abused when she was young and when I got her I tried to hunt her but when she even saw a gun she started to shake and whimper and thats no shit. I hated to think of what was done to her as a pup but she led a good life while she was with me even though she was just a furry paper weight. The other beagle I took to the vet to get his teeth cleaned and when he came out of the vets office something was seriously wrong. Apparently the stuff they used to put him under screwed with him somehow and he was walking into walls and couldnt hear or see and he wouldnt eat. Had to have him put down as I couldnt bear to see him suffer. The lab was hands down the smartest dog Ive ever owned. We got him as a pup and trained him to work search and rescue as well as evidence detection for the PA game commission. He helped lead to the arrest and conviction of many law breakers and helped solve some very serious cases. He had a great career doing just that and he hunted upland birds and waterfowl as well. He was also a great mentor to my GSP pup and the best companion Ive ever had. He was diagnosed with cancer late in 2006 and I tried to get him out for one last goose hunt on Christmas morning that year. I woke up that morning and he had died in his sleep on my bed sometime during the night. I cried like a baby, hell Im wellin up while Im typin, but I told myself that he was going on that hunt dammit and loaded my best hunting buddy in the truck and headed for the field. I called my buddy who was supposed to go with me and told him what happened and that I needed to hunt alone that morning. I shot one goose that morning and buried the dog with the goose in his mouth in the same field where he made his first ever retrieve. I didnt hunt again that year and had a hell of a time getting motivated in 07. Im planning on getting another lab pup this year some time but I will never be able to have another chocolate again.

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Oh gosh, y'all are all killing me.:embarassed:My heart breaks for each of you. We lost our 8yr old rat terrier in January & we still miss him terribly....and we still have 3 dogs! But he was the smartest, funniest, most contrary, most loving goofball.
    Hang in there guys. To those of you thinking about it, Get A New Puppy!!
    And to you, with the bullmastiff......I LOVE what you said about him!! Too funny!

12. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jordan, sorry for your loss, I have felt your pain.
    Had to put down a Setter because of that sudden aggression you mentioned. It was unexplainable, and hard to understand. Also put down a GSP Dec.06. It was awful, he had congestive heart failure, yet had all the heart in the world up to the very end. Best bond I ever had was with that dog. I have put another dog in his kennel, but it's not a replacement nor does it fill the empty hole in my heart.

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Sorry to hear about the loss . To bad you are not closer cause I am fixing to have a mess of champion blood line pups running around .

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    that sucks brother....but i have put them down for the same reason...hate to do it, but a mean dog has no home....not with me anyway...