Lost Key

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Chris, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Yesterday I lost my one and only tool box key with my tools locked inside, go figure! What would you suggest doing, I checked with snap on and they sell another set of locks and keys, do you think that it would work if I drilled the old lock out or would that screw up the whole locking system on the box.

Thanks
    Chris

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Chris, call a good lock smith. That should be cheaper than gettin a new box!

3. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Do you think that the lock smith could even make a key for me, its an odd shaped key, the key is round with a notch at the top and at the side.

chris

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Chris,I looked you up and see that you are at Beaufort,S.C.not far from Savannah,Ga.I called BRADLEY LOCK & KEY,24 E.State Street,Savannah Ga.Ph.#(912)232-2148.They been around for 121 years.The man said"bring it on down."If you cain;t get help closer,this may help.peewee-williams

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I had that happen and a locksmith made me a key to open it up. But it's not cheap. But I was also told if I drilled it out it wouldn't hurt my locking system. But I just paid the locksmith and moved on.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Chris,

If you are real lucky it might be a universal key. Not likely but maybe.

Let us know what you end up doing.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    drill it chris...those locks aren't expensive. i've done it myself on my snapon boxes before

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Drill it and put another one in.

9. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    How does the locking system work on the snap on boxes? How did you drill your locks out? Size bit, how far did you drill in etc...

chris

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    a 3/8 or 7/16 bit works fine...as i recall, the lock was soft metal

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    you are only drilling the lock cylinder itself, chris. once you run the bit thru it the tumblers will fall, allowing you pull the cylinder out. the bit will go in maybe an inch or so

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    phils right only i would start out with a 1/8 inch bit and if need be go larger
    ive replaced about 6-8 sets of locks on my truck boxes (different boxes)
    although ive never messed with a snap on box i would think the actual lock mechanism is a universal type .
    wish you were closer i got a ring full of old keys that are for those type of cylinders ive gotten lucky on my garage door and a couple other tool boxes before. good luck

if you drill the tumblers out with the smaller bit you will see the little springs and brass pins come out
    then you can use a flat screrw driver to turn the cylinder and open the box then you can take the lock mech out and get a replacement

13. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Daryl

I will have to try that as soon as I get the package that you sent me.

thanks
    chris