Lost in Indiana - can't find any catfish on the Ohio River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by billcatfish, Jul 16, 2006.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    any one tell how to find some cats on the ohio river.and what kind of bait is working.

2. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I can't tell you specifically about the Ohio river since it has been years since I've been there. My advice is to fish structures such as old bridge pillars, fallen trees anything thing that gives them cover find holes and drop offs. In my opinion live and cut bait works best no matter where you go, but I am not going to get into which bait works best because everyone has an opinion and what works here might not work there. It is a lot of trial and error move areas alot and fish hard best of luck to you and God Bless

3. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    Been catching fish consistantly the last couple of weeks on the Ohio, live shad is what we have caught most of our fish on, catching a few channels on shad heads. Best of luck to ya.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    where at on the ohio you fishing? i am fishing the eastern part in indiana and the fishing has been really good. been catching alot of fish on shad but some nice flathead been on live gills. the channels are pretty shallow and look for a current break (we fish inside bends and the inside/downstream side of points) for flatheads look for any structure in the water, especially trees. this is usually in the slower current and that's usually where we catch them. as for blues-they've been a little harder. we were drift fishing deeper (30-45 feet) water last week and catching them pretty nicely. I would recomend catching skipjack and using them, the blues are hammering them. also make great bait for channels and flats (my favorite bait). let me know what area you are in and i can give you some suggestions for catching them. hope this helps!