lost first catfish of the year

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by JERMSQUIRM, Mar 30, 2006.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    :mad: man what a bummer. went to a big deep borrow pit monday and was doing some fishing. only second trip out in 2006 since nov.

put on a 5/0 circle and a whole crawler, worm. after a few min i seen it get a light tug and a pull. then gone. i waited 10 min or so and checked. still baited. tossed out real close to the same spot. after a few i seen a light tap. water is still real cold after last weeks blizzard. i picked it up and tightened the line. just as it hit tight i felt a pull. i gave it the back sweep and pow there it was. the pole dropped and the drag began to whine.

i was using a light openface bass rod cause i planned on catching some bucket mouths that didn't seem to be hitting. so i switched to the bottom for whiskers. i fought him for a few min getting him close. the camera was ready and i am most pos it was a channel. i would guess 5-8 lbs from the pull and the rod bend. felt slugish like a cold cat. then the dreadded stop.

there is supposed to be several x-mas trees put in there a few years back. my buddie has permission and this was my first trip there.

i was in shock. he went under or around a tree. i sit there helpless as the line would not budge. i gave him slack hoping he would come free. after a few min i tried to tug a bit. nothing finnaly i felt a pop and said i think he came free. nope. took my hook.:crying: so no pics. he is the one who got away.

2. TEAYSWRESTLER

TEAYSWRESTLER New Member

State:
    OHIO
    That sux man I know how that is. Better luck next time.

3. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    :mad: I know how much that hurts!!! Good luck next time.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    No doubt you got him hooked, but probably just barely from the back sweep motion. I actually caught one last year on a circle hook using the back sweep motion (forgot I had a circle hook on at the time) but the channel was just barely hooked by the skin from the corner of the mouth, one more tug and I might have lost him.

5. TEAYSWRESTLER

TEAYSWRESTLER New Member

State:
    OHIO
    yea I like khales myself gives me the chance to hook him if I miss him it is my fault LOL ya know.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well he took the hook with him so i think he was hooked pretty good. all i got in return was the swivel and sinker.:crying: went back the next day without a bite. time to get the boat out:cool:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    however i did enjoy thursday. i went to the creek here with some worms i had picked up a few weeks ago when we had the tornadoes and such in illinois.

caught a drum and a sucker. went back after dark and caught a 3lb carp then a 6lb carp. it was fun to be catching something after the longest winter i think ever,lol.

8. 1 at a time

1 at a time New Member

lol i know what you mean

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It happens to the best of us man, I've lost some big ones before when they get my line around stuff.

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Wish you used a "J" hook??

I like the K.I.S.S method of fishing for myself for I can mess up real easy !!

:005: :005: :005: (me)

Sorry u lost that fish.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    At Least You Had One For Awhile.so Far I Haven't Even Had A Promise . Maybe Next Time You'll Get It. Good Luck!

12. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I hate it when that happens. I guess you can console yourself in the fact that he is still waiting for you.

13. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Sorry man, that sucks.