Lost Boat - Sunday

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by archisands, Sep 2, 2008.

1. archisands

archisands New Member

State:
    North Carolina / Virginia
    So my fishing bud and I were on the Yadkin on Sunday night. Sitting there a white form in the distance catches my eye. I tell my buddy who hadn't seen it, "look at this idiot running around at night without any lights." I sit there watching the rods a little longer and the white form / boat starts heading our way, gets closer, gets closer. I tell my buddy who is facing the other way watching his rods off the back of the boat, "something isn't right about this, that boat's coming straight towards us." I pull out the 6 mil candlewatt spot and light him up and .... there's no one on the boat! No motors, but a perfectly good fish and ski with windsheild and steering wheel. No numbers on the bow. My bud and I discussed the scenarios that could have lead to the empty boat and decided worst case scenario, that someone could have been running fast, hit something in the water losing the outboard and got thrown out. So we called the sherriff, who never showed up within the next 4 hours before we left. What should we have done? Should we have called the game warden instead? Anyone have any experience? Hopefully someone just tied the craft up to a tree upstream and it just broke loose.

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Wow-cool story. Old saying that the truth is stranger than fiction.
    The ghost ship of the yadkin-LOL! Didnt know they were catters.
    When rod watching you always have to keep an eye up stream, even for the phantom ship.

Keep us posted.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I would have taken it home and figured out out later!!!! :eek:oooh:

4. archisands

archisands New Member

State:
    North Carolina / Virginia
    Trust me the thought crossed our minds, but we were worried someone might be sitting on the river bank upstream or worse treading water. Hopefully the sherriff checked it out. We joked, "wonder if the laws for international waters, if you find it and no one claims it, it's yours would apply.":confused2:

5. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    boat floating loose on water thats not good

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jon be proud of the decision you made. It was correct, thoughtful and honest. Once you reported the problem it was out of your hands. WTG.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    maybe it was stolen for the motor & dumped, therefore no bow #'s!!!!:eek:oooh: you never know..........

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    With no numbers, it sounds like someone just floated it off to abandon it. Believe it or not, folks do do this. There is a new law in the SC game book this year that makes it unlawful to abandon a boat on the water. Once abandoned, it's just another large hunk of litter.
    BB in SC

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    You did the right thing brother. Im sure that you can sleep better at night knowing that you informed someone who could go out and check to see if someone was in need of help.