Lost a state record bass tonight

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jerseycat9, Jul 21, 2006.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Now I swear on my life and all of my families lives I had the new New Jersey state record bass on the bussiness end of my pole today NO BULLCRAP. Me and a friend had his kids up at this lake which used to be an old quarry fishing for sunnys and cats. And as fait would have it I caught a sunny bout 8 inches pretty big sunny. As I was reeling it in to show his son I see a big no huge shadow closing ground on the sunny when I pulled the sunny out the bass took a swipe at the sunny guess the struggle atracted it. I hurry up and take the sunny and switch poles put him on a bigger pole. Now get this I did not have my own poles. The pole in question was an old shimano from the late 80's with a rear drag and about 5 year old 8 pound test line (see were this is going). So I throw the sunny back out about ten seconds later the sunny goes ballistic trying to get away from this bass at this point Im aching inside waiting for this bass to get the bait before he loses interest. Finally he got it now Im ready to throw up cause of my nerves line is just pealing off the real. Im trying to remain calm but hell I couldnt I manage to get him almost in arms reach and pink every thing stops, the birds, my friends kids, and my heart. I didnt say a word this is the gods honest truth I walked back to the car and cried. Then got mad at myself for not being more patient I think I said three words the rest of the night. Fish of a life time reduced to another fishing story :ah:

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    dont beat yourself up too much .
    it happens to others too.
    bet you will be prepared next trip with your own gear.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Terry, I feel your pain man, I too have lost the biggest bass of my life and it does suck to no end..... However, do as I did and go back prepaired for battle and whip that a$$ !!!!! Good luck.

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Some of you may ask this question: how do you know if it was bigger? Ive seen the pictures and this fish was MUCH MUCH BIGGER If I had to put a weight to this fish Id say 12lbs state record is only 10lbs Im still cringing every time I picture that line going slack:sad2:

5. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    brother thats all the more reason to get a stringer full of panfish and take em to that lake....take a buncha rods and put em out....kinda like cattin

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    big bass LOVE bluegill. If this is in an old strip bit there is probably several more his size. Go out and throw bluegill underneath catfish bobbers. He'll come in. This is how we catch all our big bass outa ponds and strip pits. Big shiners (we use 6-8 inch ones we catch in the creek) work great too! keep trying and u'll nail him!

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I dont want to sound negative but this quarry is about 30 acres and ive fished it since they opened it in 94 and ive never seen a bass over 5lbs Ive caught many 6 to 8lb bass and this is the biggest ive ever seen in Jersey by far man am I bummin hard this sucks i wasnt even trying to fish we were just there for the kids any other day I would be telling you how I just broke the state record. damn inferior tackle it is always at right place wrong time

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

youknow he's there and feeding keep going back and you will gehim

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That sucks don't it? It happens to all of us at some point. When I first started Flatheadin', I lost 4 really big fish in one night because I wasn't setting the drag right. I'd get them right to the bank, they'd see my lantern and take off so hard the line would beak. I couldn't sleep for days. i'd never caught a fresh water fish more than 4 pounds and these were around 40#. Saying I was pi$$ed off just doesn't explain it!

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have lost a couple of 50-lb class flatheads right at the bank, it literly makes you sick and mad at the same time..It takes me a couple weeks to ge over something like that.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I feel your pain, I thought I was the only one that loses a lot of huge fish, guess I'm not alone though. I absolutely hate it when I get a 50+ lb Blue up near the bank or boat and he starts rolling and the hook just pops out before we get the net under him. I cry sometimes and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

12. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    just about the worst feeling in the world..I always try and use those situations for motivation to get back out there and make sure I get the next one in..

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Terry: calm down, you forgot the important part. The big fish is still there. You found his home now go knock on the door until he answers.

14. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Terry sorry about your missed state record, but as said you know he is in there.......

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have lost several 4-5# Bass.

Those Shovelheads really eat em up!! :cool2:

16. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    well you know where you can catch a state record fish

17. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Sorry you didn't land him Terry! Look on the bright side, at least you got to wrangle with it! I would try it again in a week or so at the same time of day that this happened and with the same type of bait, Bass are a fish of habbit and will tend to go on the feed at the same time of day.

18. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Im with Flathunter, I missed a nice fish earlier this season, and I still dont think im over it

19. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    kinda reminds me of men in black when he says its better to have loved and lost then never have loved. and his teacher tells him to try it.

a loss of a great fish can be gut wrenching. You have my condolences.

20. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    That always sucks and the worst thing is it's gonna give ya nightmares for awhile.