Lost a pole need help with rod holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by billcatfish, Jul 18, 2006.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    need your info on rod holders.on a fiberglass boat. any info will help thank for the info

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    look in the BOC libary and you will find alot of info on different types of rod holders

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
  4. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe

Thats nice Smitty..you just drilled right into the fiberglass?

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Cabelas sells a real nice one that you drill a 2inch hole and it slides in.
    So, your pole goes down inside your boat. It is chrome and about 30 bucks each.

6. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Kyle- Yes, but I used bolts, not screws. I had another BOC brother PM me about them, here's a copy of my reply to him:

The round base you see is a 1/2" "floor flange". it has 4 bolt-holes & a 1/2" pipe thread in the center. You can find them in the plumbing section of the local home improvement center or hardware store.

I then took a 1/2" X 6" long black pipe nipple, cut the threads off of 1-end, and welded a 3/8" nut down into the end of the pipe. It may take alittle filing/grinding, but the nut will fit without too much trouble.

A 3/8" X 1" bolt holds the PVC to the stand, and it can still swivel in any direction you want. I painted the bases with black enamel before bolting on the PVC holder, and cut a piece of carpeting I used in the boat into a round shape to fit between the base of the holder & the top of the boat as a cushion.

Smitty

(PS- I'll add that I may have $5 each & maybe 30 minutes time in each one.)

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    one thing I would like to add. while at the hardware store buy lock nuts for electric conduit, 1/2, 3/4, inch ect to fit pipe nipple, when placed on the threaded end of pipe and tightened against base will keep the holder from swiveling .