Lost a friend and fishing buddy

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Gator, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I just lost a good friend and a fishing buddy today. The news hit me kind of hard at first as we have been hanging around together for the last 4 years are so and he was a close friend. Man you know that really hurts. I mean after all the races we watched together and coffee we have had together as well as means at each others house then something like this happens?! You are left wondering just how well you really know someone. Man this hurts…and why…well….

And all because I don’t allow beer on my boat. Go figure???:know-big:

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    well if he wants to get mad at you for what you believe in then he wasnt that much of a friend to begin with

3. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Brother Jim,
    You have my deepest sympathy. You just can't hold yourself responsible for someone elses' actions.
    If I can do ANYTHING for you, just pick up the phone!!!

Wally

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Gator, sorry to hear about your loss. Just goes to show you that today - material things - mean more to some people then personal relationships. Bet he comes to you later beggin to be your friend again.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Gator that just sucks bro, but stick to your guns. He should respect your rules on your boat. Maybe just a rash decision that he will think back on and realize what a mistake he make.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well Gator,looks like you missed some signs, or just didn't want to acknowledge them. Maybe he has had a problem for a long time and just couldn't hide it any more? If you feel that he was that good of a friend don't give up on him now!This may be an opportunity for you to show just what kind of a friend you can be! Then again, four years isn't a life time and it just might be time to move on. It's your call brother.

7. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    He'll be back Jim. I don't know if y'all had a big argument or not, but if not, I'm sure he'll be back! It does seem strange though, that he would get to know you so well, then have such a big problem with stayin sober on the water????? Try to keep your chin up---after all YOU are in the right on this one. Never anything wrong with "erroring on the safe side."

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jim the best friend I have ever had is my brother, and I wouldn't be worth a damn if something like that came between us, but we both have such a high reguard for each other, that we respect what the other believes in, and those problems just don't happen. Thats just how real buddys are!

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Hey Gator things like that happen a lot. I lost a friend the same way to. He did not want to respect my wishes so I said till he gets it in his hed I dont allow alcohol on my boat or in my house dont come over anymore. Needless to say its been 5 years and I havnt seen him heard he has got 2 DUI's and his wife left him. It sucks and does hurt but I hope he sees the light and comes back and says he is sorry and respects your wishes. if not well just pray for him. I am a recovring alcoholic been there done that been on both sides. Took me a long time to decide what means more friends and family or the booze. I thank God everyday for showing me the right way and for getting the booze out of my life.

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Sorry to hear about that. Good friends can work it out, but if he was really a good friend he will come back.

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Rules on my boats are simple; 1) If it is moving you will have a life vest on, 2) NO BOOZE of any kind on my boats, 3) if I think it is getting to choppy were going in. I have worked boats off and on most of my life and have seen some bad things happen. Everything from near drowing to loss of life and it is not worth it if you ask me. I just told him that if he gose with me the beer stay's on the dock till we return and his responce was, "If I can not take my beer then I am not wanted" I told him he was welcome but the beer was not. All well I will find some one else to fish with.

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Can't say I blame you Gator.

13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've often said that the word friend is an over used term. Ya may have 2 of them at the most in a lifetime. Clean out the spare room Gator. I'll move in with ya. LOL!

14. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Gator: I don't think you really lost a friend. It sounds to me more like you lost a user. Anyone that would disrespect you and your rules was in all probablility just using you.

15. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I see two problems with this...first you need a new friend and he needs lots of HELP...if he values booze over your friendship then he was not much of a friend to begin with:sad: ....JMHO

16. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Gator - I agree with your rules, mine are much the same:

1. I personally don't like life jackets (or seat belts), but they do save lives and anyone on my boat will wear one.
    2. No alcohol on my boat or on my property. I quit drinking over twenty years ago and don't seem any the worse for giving it up.
    3. When bad weather shows up, I head for shore. I don't mean a simple rain shower, but what could be a bad storm.

Last - a friend who would choose his beer over your friendship isn't much of a friend to start with - small loss.

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm sorry to hear that man, I know how it feels.

18. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Well Jim, been there done that twice now. I was an alcoholic for quite a few years and am very grateful that is not the truth anymore. Two of my close friends both quit fishing with me after I quit drinking, afraid it was their loss not mine. One of them has had two dui's and will only fish till noon, then it's beer time. The other one has never gotten a ticket but drinks all the time, fishing or not. Now my best friend, after I quit drinking has almost completely quit also, but we are more like brothers. He still likes to have an occasional beer but that isn't a problem. When he is with me or vise a versa then he doesn't have any, or he may ask, do you care if I have a beer. I would never tell him I care, but then again we aren't fishing or in a boat. Suprising how much nice fishing gear I have now that I don't spend all my money on booze, actually none of my money goes on booze. I don't like being in a boat if there is drinking going on, I don't feel safe, and I can't swim.

19. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Sounds like the guy needs help.

20. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Dang !!! I thought the guy died!!

Ahh heck with him...I'll fill that empty seat any day BROTHER !!!