Lost a buddy today

Discussion in 'Prayer Request' started by Phil Washburn, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    As a lot of you know, i have 6 dogs. the oldest is the mama dog, and she is about 13. still very agile. the next was the daddy dog trevor, at 12 or 13. a couple of years ago he was diagnosed with heartworms. the treatment is 3 to 400 bucks, and not only does it often fail, sometimes it will kill the dog itself. given his advanced age i did not spend the money.

a couple of weeks ago he started losing weight rapidly. down to maybe 70lbs today from 110lbs. last friday i noticed that he was almost blind. by saturday afternoon, he could only see shapes, light, and shadows. for a week now, he still got around the yard well. ran into things occassionally, but still had an appetite for food and water. the last day and a half he has been unable to walk. his range was confined to about a 15 foot area that he could drag himself around in.

i took him to the vet this afternoon and had him put down.

when i was a young man, i used to put down my dogs myself, when necessary. as you get older, life and its value becomes clearer all the time. the passing of even a pet, at least for me, is heart-rending anymore. i guess i am just a big baby, but i had to put up with teary eyes the whole time. i miss my old dog.

2. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I know how you feel. I had a dog that was a puppy when i was born. He was my best friend. We finally had to have him put down becuase of cancer when he was about 12, i was also 12 too. Every kind of a loss makes you kind of teary eyed, but you know it was the right thing to do. When you put a pet down you know that it's going to a good place, and it dosn't have to suffer anymore. You have to get used to it though, it's the way life is. I'm very sorry about the loss.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    sorry to here about your dog partner

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A couple of years ago my best deer dog, which was about 15 at the time, got so weak he couldn't even stand up any more. His back hip joint was just worn down, he just laid there suffering. When I saw him in that condition I called my dad to come put him down. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to watch. I just could not bring myself to do it even though I knew it was best. I'm sure my dad didn't particularly want to either, but he knew I was not up to it. I know how you feel, and what's bad is you feel helpless cuz you can't do anything about it. Sorry to hear of your loss.

5. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Sorry about your loss

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Same here. I cried at work when my wife called and told me Hawkeye, my 12 year old yellow lab was lying in the yard dead. He'd been up all night chasing critters along the fence and I guess his heart just gave out.

To make it worse, I was at work 75 miles away. My wife's stepfather came over and buried him.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I lost my best friend October 23 of last year. She was only 8 years old and had got somewhat lathargic. I took her to the vet and he said it was just a flared up organ (can't remember which now) and that it was quite common. He gave her a few shots and me some pills to give her. Said she would be a lot better by evening. She wasn't, next morning I called the vet and he said the meds had not had sufficient time to work and to call him back on Thursday. My dog died at 11:30 that evening. She was laying in my arms and would just lick me and nuzzle under my hand. I probably should not have even tried to write this as messed up as it has all ready made me... probably need to go see a therapist...its been over 6 months. Divorces have been easier to get over. oh well...

8. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Sorry to hear about your losses
    A couple of years ago my best dog died at 15 years old she was a great dog

9. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Sorry to hear about that. I dread the day that we have to put my wife's 150lb rottwieler to sleep. I say my wife's because she had him before me. He is 10 years old and probably wont die from natural causes. He has arthritis real bad and can barely make it up the step some days. We give him pain killers but that will only work for a while.

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    terribly sorry to hear that phil,
    we have an older boston thats in that age bracket and i dread the day .
    hes been an easy to care for and gentle pet hes always been close to the kids and wife and i nothing like a good dog to bring joy to an owner
    and almost nothing worse besides a child dieing than when they pass.
    truly sorry for your loss bud .
    darryl

11. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Sorry for your loss Phil, Dogs are a lot better friends than people. I've had dogs all my life and losing one is something I never get use too. Their always there for you when no one else is. May sound dumb to some people but it's true.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Condolences for your loss....
    and welcome to the big baby club... there's more'n a few of us here...

13. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    losing a dog is losing a family member. i had to put my boxer,max, down. it was one of the hardest things i ever did. i know how you feel, it tore me up so bad i don't think i could do it again.
    time heals, and a new puppy helps take your mind off your loss. cherish what you have, remember the ones that have passed on. dogs are some of the best friends we will ever have, they give all and ask for little.
    did what you had to do, best for all involved. god loves you, and your dogs too
    catwacker

14. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    So sorry to hear that Phil, I know how you must be feeling about that.
    We raise them as our family and when they die, we feel like we just lost a real family member. Pryers go out to you Phil, he will be in heaven waiting.
    They just can't be replaced by another.

AL

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am sure sorry to hear that Phil. It has always been hard on me when loosing a good pet and friend. I have gone through many animals over the years, and they all have a special place in my heart. Every dog and most of the cats that I have lived with, have been ten years and older,the longest for a dog was sixteen years and the oldest cat was twenty. Tears flowed like rain every time I had to say good by old friend, and I ll tell you right now I never felt shame from it. It always hurts so bad that I tell myself not to get another one, but I always do. You see, some people just have a lot of love to give, and not all of the people you know, need it or want it. Thats is why God saw to it that we could share this over abundance with our four legged friends and birds too. And they give us so much love back, actually that is just about all they really want out of life, to be able to run or fly and love a good person. A man that does not weep for a lost friend or beast, is not a whole man. For he is lacking the most important part of being a man, and that is the ability to love. To give it and receive it with an open heart, even if it means getting hurt once in a while. With out love for our fellow man we are nothing. With out love for our pets, we are even less.

16. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Phil it makes me sad to hear about your loss. I too had to let my 13 y/o baby go. I went to the drag races one morning and that evening when I got home, my baby was all swollen up in the belly. Took her to the animal clinic right then. The vet came out and told me she had bloat. It's something race dogs get when they drink a lot of water just after racing. She must of got hot from running the back yard and drank too fast. Vet told me there was nothing she could do because some of the organs were already dying. Seems the insides just twist around one another and cut of the blood flow. I lost her about 12 years ago and I still miss her badly.
    I'm a cry baby club member too.

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Phil, I feel your loss brother, you did the right thing

18. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Phil, sometimes the four-legged friends are much more loyal and trusting than the two-legged kind.
    I feel for your loss.

19. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Phil,
    I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. If crying over losing a pet makes one a baby then I am probably the biggest baby of all.

My dogs are as much a part of me as human children are to others. My dogs are my kids. I honestly think I would shoot someone if I caught them harming one of my dogs.

I spend countless hours a week volunteering my as the head of Lab Rescue of NC. We rescue Labradors, mostly from shelter death rows, vet them, put them in foster homes, and then adopt them to new homes. I feel its one way I can share the love that my dogs have always given me. It is very rewarding but very often heartbreaking work as well. If only more people would be responsible pet owners like those of us that truly love and appreciate the unconditional love that only a dog gives us.

You did the right thing. I believe that being able to let a beloved pet go humanely, when it can no longer live a quality life, is the last greatest gift of love we can give them.

Only time will ease the pain of the loss but you can put little bright spots in those dark times by recalling some of the happy memories you shared with the dog through those years.

He is gone physically, but he is still there watching over you.....

20. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am sorry to hear of your loss. dogs ,well pets get closer to you as we age . it is truely loosing a friend and companion. almost like loosing a child. they don't call them man's best friend for nothing. talking about is the best thing you can do. isaid a prayer for you both. Good luck