Lost a battle but will win the war!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by daystarchis, Jul 3, 2006.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    After yesturday brothers, I am a firm believer that trophy cats can be caught in the day I took fresnofishfan around 10 pm over to the honey hole to show him a few spots. His uncle and brother was back at the pump fishing. Well I told him lets soak a few lined since we were over there. He had to get back soon since they were leaving around 2 am. We fished 30 min and fishfan landed the biggest cat so far. It was a smiggon over 5# He was stoked! They left and I got busy setting up my lil camp for the night. Went to sleep around 4 am (it got chilly) I was burnt out so I missed the sun coming up and crawled out and hooked up some DK on my 9 ft ugly stick and bait runner. started getting some hits and around 9 am after an hour of nibbles I was about to get up and rebait when my pole bent downand all of a sudden my pole popped up and my bell flew about 20 ft and almost hit me. I brabbed my pole and the fight was on!!!!I have 30# spider and that cat was pulling my drag it sounded like a motor fought it for 15 min but my net was aways from me and when the cat surfaced out about 20-30 yards out I knew right then and there I needed the net. Thank God for riverbuds awesome pole holders I quicly stuck my pole back in and ran and got the net. I managed to play the fish in to net it. I tried with my left hand to scoop the cat up and the hook came flying out : the fish was so big it was kind of stuck in the 3 ft of water and I attemted to net the cat again when the cat seen the net or me it took its huge tail and did a splash like a muscrat and off it went. It was well over 20# no daught. My arm has shaking from the strenght of the fight, my heart was beating quick. I have hooked huge fish that did the same thing, but could never land them since they always swim to a structure and get tangled up and then resorting to cutting my line I seen this cat, I don't know if it is the same one, or others, but several buddy's have caught huge fish and they always take the line to this one spot and then it's over It was the coolest thing even though it "got away". That cat deseved to win that battle, but next time I will win the WAR !

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like you had a ball. As for dayfishing there is little difference IMO. I am sure others will disagree but I have caught almost all of my bigger fish during the day. I do enjoy night fishing just not as much as day.

3. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    You can do every thingperfectly right , great rod, reel ,supurb line best hooks and frisky bait but if there ain't no fishes there big enough to eat said bait it's going to be a long wait. For flatheads I think that in the day they may not cruise as much so bait placement is crucial .

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Man, great story. Sounds like you almost had em. He will be there next time, just a little bigger is all. Good luck Robb.

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Robb, I'm sorry he got off but I sure enjoyed the play-by-play. I thought I was there with you. You will get him next time and we'll get to hear about it again. Good luck.

ST

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I personally have no trouble catching fish during the day. It's often in the early morning before peak daylight, but it definitely isn't night.

7. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like fishing early in the morning, too old to pull the all nighters anymore. Besides all my fishing partners start whining about 11:00 pm or if it's raining.
    Don't worry That cat will be back and so will you. Can't wait to see who wins next time.
    Just curious, What type Hook were you using. Sounds like some of my Circle Hook adventures.

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Man thats one of the things I like about this site hearing those great fishing story's. One thing is for sure hes out there for you to catch again. Good luck and keep us posted.

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    When that type of stuff happens, that just makes me want to go back after them with a vengence...I live for stuff like that man, youll get him next time

10. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hey great story, but there is always a next time. It definetly gives you a rush. He probably won't go far.

11. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Sounds like a great fish. Better luck with landin' him next time.

-Red

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Robb great story. You will get him some time in the future I am sure.

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    My two biggest catfish were caught in the daytime so yep you can catch them in the day. As far as you losing the battle, take it with stride. I have lost at this one lake San Vicente about 6 battles of hooked big blues over the 50 pound mark before I finally landed my 81 and 50 there. It took me 3 years of continously fishing it before I finally landed one. Those 6 loses occured in those 3 year span. At Irvine it took even longer. It took about ten years before I landed a 46 pounder. I had about 10 losses before that on some that were bigger than that. It may not seem so but its been within the last 8 years that I been catching big cats but I definitely paid the cost to be the boss sort to say. Lots of those losses were my fault and which I mishandled the fish by having too tight of a drag or too light in which the fish took me into a snag or rocks. A few were by the fish spitting out a hook. I had one on one time that was at least 50 about to surface than he spit the hook and the hook came flying over my head. Lots of times I wanted to cry with all of those losses saying why me? There were even times that I wanted to quit. But persistence finally paid off and I learned from my mistakes. I just went through all of the things that I did when I lost the battle and tried to not do that very same thing again and it has worked. I learned when fishing to always check my drag, I do that constantly. When I hook a big fish pull up the anchors. I lost many big fish to anchors. I check my line for frailed line constantly, and I always make sure my hook is tied well before I toss it out. When fishing with mutiple poles I request that the other lines gets pulled in when fishing with a partner. Just keep fishing and you will soon be rewarded by the fish Gods. I just call it paying dues. The big one will strike again.

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks guys...... i been fishing the same area for years and know it pretty good. I been hooking some huge hogs and like Brian said, the fish gods will smile soon:smile2:

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great story!

All of my species big fish, except the flathead, have come during daylight hours. Part of the reason is I fish more during daylight, but I believe big fish can be caught during daylight just as easy as at night if approached properly.