Loss of rpm at high speed

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by JPritch, Jul 30, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Model: '06 Yamaha F60TLR

I was out Saturday night and I would get up to full throttle and then all of a sudden the motor would lose power. It would drop from WOT @4500 rpm to around 3000rpm. I could run the motor at around 3K rpm or lower just fine.

Got back to the ramp and noticed my float had risen meaning I had water in my fuel. I drained the cup, and headed back out. I could maintain WOT this time, with one more power loss incident, but the motor ran fine the rest of the night. I did notice my float had risen yet again though.

Is water in the fuel the likely culprit? And do I need to keep on draining the cup until the float doesn't rise anymore? Or is there something else that could have caused my loss of power that I need to check?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Most of the new engines have many computer managed safety systems.ANy time that something is detected the engine will cut back to no more than half rpms to prevent further damage.Sounds like you have lots of water in your fuel so I would look at draining that tank and getting a good additive.If you are in Virginia and burning ethanol fuel that is one of the big complaints about ethanol, it attracts water.Contact your manufacture or read the owners manual and see if they or it have any precautions about ethanol.:big_smile:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would say water is the most likely devil here. Clean all that fuel out and put in some fresh and check the vent line to see if the water is entering there.
    Don't only rely on those bowels on the engine put you an inline water fuel seperator on it. It can save many a headache for around 30 bucks.