Losing too much tackle!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Chrisingeorgia, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I have been doing a lot more drift fishing now that I finally have a boat and it's getting expensive having to replace my sinkers, swivels, and hooks after every trip. Not to mention all the line I'm losing when I break off. When I first set my lines out I leave them four or five feet off the bottom and everything's fine until the depth changes. I'm constantly having to reel my baits up and lower them down as the depth changes to avoid getting hung, but several of my lines will usually snag up before I can tend to them. Is this a pretty normal thing, and is there anything I can do to stop it? How high off the bottom is too high for cats?

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Try a slip bobber to keep your bait just above the bottom.

3. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    Someone tried to explain the slip bobber technique to me once but I never really understood how it worked. Would I just slide a bobber halfway between my sinker and my hook?

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm sure someone else can explain this to you better than I can, but I'll take a shot at it.

I thnik a lot of the guys that drift on Santee Cooper use a slinky sinker (they are long and flexible, kind of like a woven tube with shot inside and an eye on one end) on the line, then with a crappie float on the leader. The special sinker doesn't snag so easy, and the float holds the bait up off the bottom so the hook doesn't snag. There are a number of different types of sinker that might work, like a walking sinker or something, as long as it doesn't snag too easily.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Unfortunately loosing tackle is part of the game. All you can do is take those actions you can which minimize the loss...tie your weight on with lighter line than your main line. If the sinker snags, you don't loose the hook, swivel and line, just the sinker. Use heavier line with which you may be able to pull free from the snag - but if it comes to having to break off your in a pickle. Use hooks with the think wire guards over the point to keep from snagging dead wood...still lets the fish take the bait.

Slip bobbers allow you to fish at a predetermined depth. There is usually a bobber stop of some type set at the depth you want to fish. This bobber stop can be a commercial one you can buy at most Wal-Marts, Bass Pro, Academy, Cabala's, etc. They are fairly cheap. Even cheaper is to use a fresh rubber band and just tie square knots at the depth you want to fish...when you cut the rubber band off, leave a small tag end to keep the knot from coming undone. You can also use a heavier gauge mono filament and tie a knot on your line at the depth you want to fish. Then you would employ a bead between the float and swivel or first hook. The bead is supposed to be slightly larger than the knot used to tie a swivel to the line. It slides over the knot and offers it some protection from the weight or bobber sliding up and down the line. To change the depth, simply slide your bobber stopper to the new depth. What this will do is to keep you rig at a set depth from the top of the water - it will not keep you from snagging the things at the bottom or in the water column your fishing.

6. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I finally got to fish in the Mississippi river and ,when I tried to reel in, My weight and hook were locked to the bottom like nobodies biness. I had to cut my lines. What did I do wrong?:sad2:

7. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Ja, what he said. I've heard them called "bottom bouncers" and "drift rigs". I make my own "slinky" style weights using 3/8 oz worm weights (6 weights when using a 2" peg float). Tie a bead on the end of a piece of 10lb mono, then string the weights on (pointy side pointing away from the bead) tie a swivel on the top. Then simply rig it Carolina style (not forgetting your peg float on your leader) using your new slinky weight. Hope this helps

Attached Files:

8. fishingbuddie

fishingbuddie New Member

State:
    georgia
    chris wher ein ga are you south or north

9. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Chris, I have a lot to learn about drifting for cats, but, on the Resivour the drifters let out 100 - 150 feet of line behind the boat. They drift or use their trolling motors and do quite well. Maybe you have been useing too heavy a weight or the wrong kind of sinker. Try Jons setup there , see if that works better.

10. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY

I guess you could say I'm from middle Georgia just south of Lake Lanier.

11. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY

I have been using 2 ounce egg sinkers with about a 4-5ft leader but I try to keep the whole rig a least 4 feet off the bottom. I'm not really sure if it's my hook or the weights that are getting snagged. From what some of you guys are telling me I should be dragging the weight on the bottom and allowing the bait to float up.

12. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Chris how many rigs are you trying to man? The more rods you have out the more chances you have of a snag. I rarely hang up but I use 1 rod in the holder reeled up one or two cranks off the bottom. Then I hold one rod and maintan a bump,bump on the bottom as I drift or troll. I keep a steady eye on the depthfinder and adjust the lines accordingly. I'm not sure if this is the best way but my freezer and some friends' freezers stay pretty full.

Cheez

13. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Chris, I don't know if your using a trolling motor or not? If you are then mount you a depth finder up front and a transducer on the bottom of the motor or get you a transducer switch and hook it up to your existing depth finder. The transducer up front will tell you when the depth is changing and you can adjust your rods before they get hung up...

14. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    I try to only fish four rods at a time but quite often the first or second line will be hung before I can even rig the other two rods and get them lowered. It's enough to drive a man crazy. I know egg sinkers probably aren't the best thing to be using for drift fishing, but I have so many on hand I figure why not. Maybe I'm just fishing too close to the bottom? And yes, I am using a trolling motor, but no depth finder up front. I usually just turn my screen so that it's facing the front of the boat where I can turn my head and see it easily. Those slip bobber pictures really help me get an idea of I need to do as far as that goes. Thanks.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think u is going to lose tackle if u is fishing on the bottom, The only rig that I know of that is snag poof is a silp float rig!

16. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    Slip float it is. I might also try fishing a smooth mud/sand bottom and get away from the channels and rocky points I've been fishing lately. It'll probably cost me some good fish but we'll see.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Chris a Slip Float Rig, always work for me.

18. fishingbuddie

fishingbuddie New Member

State:
    georgia
    just wondering i live in ga was wondering if you want to come join me in the river down here and fish i have been to that lake alot good fishing there and all

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the slipfloat rig is good. you might get you some sinker molds, and melt the eggs you got and 'convert' them over to a more usable sinker.
    good fishin to ya bro!

20. x575599

x575599 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris, I am new to catfishing but I have done a substantial amount of drift fishing for flounder in the salt water. The area's and structure that flonder are found make for some pretty tough snags. What i have done to over come this is two things, first if I am using live bait I will not allow the point of the hook to come all of the way through the the bait and I will use what is called a trolling sinker, it is a soft, plyable, cylindrical lead sinker with an eye on each end, I will bend the sinker into a slight U and that seems to help greatly. The other thing I will do is use the same rig as above but I will put a cigar float in line on the leader betwen the sinker and the bait. The float will keep the bait off of the bottom and reduce snags. I hope this helps and good luck.