Losing Knot Strength Over Time

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JPritch, Oct 30, 2009.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    How true is it that knots lose strength over time? Reason I ask is that I would love to pre-tie about 30 leaders to use through my peak fishing season which is through next spring. But don't want to do it if it is going to compromise line and/or knot strength as time goes on.

Opinions/thoughts?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Been doin it for years and have never had a problem. Its the route to go.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Same here. No problems to be had. I do keep them in small packages and place them all in a larger zip lock bag. Nothing else done.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I pretie also Josh, no problems yet! Main thing I think is keep them babies if mono away from moisture and direct sunlight. I think them two over time would possibly weaken the line and knot strength. rollo

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been doing "IT" for years too!:roll_eyes: Never had a problem, but got two kids somehow!!:smile2::wink: rollo

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I pre-tie leaders twice a year,never had a problem.I,d only do it once a year but I always lose twice as many as I figure on!:wink:

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I pre- tie also,
    I think they might be refering to a knot in use,,, A guide friend of mine taught me a while back if you catch a big fish you need to re-tie the knot due to the stress the fish puts on the knot,,,I try, but have lost fish becouse I did'nt do it,,:eek:oooh: But I think pre-tieng if fine,,,
    Puddle:wink:

8. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    is there a thread that shows the different kinds of knots and how to tie them properly?

9. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
  10. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Thanks John, i have been tieing the improved clinch all these years and did not know what it was called. Is the palamar knot for hooks and swivels?

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS Well-Known Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I second the palomar know :wink: easy easy

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use the palomar for everything except line to line connections,I use the double uni for that.:wink:

13. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Yup,,What Pat said:wink:
    I use it everywhere I can, we did a knot pulling contest at another fishing forum and the Palomar out pulled everything even a snelled knot to my supprise " it would fail where the line entered the snell" :big_smile:
    Puddle

14. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks guys, when i get off work i'm going home and retie all my rigs! practice makes close to perfect.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I just keep a good eye on mine , after 2-3 big fish and or I see a slight burr in my leaders I re-tie.

Earlier this yr I had one break at the hook on a huge fish I couldn't turn. It still had the half-moon shape in it where it wrapped around the hooks eye:confused2:..I think the hook stuck just inside the fishs lip and the teeth rubbed and cut the line.. That keep me checking more often now:wink:

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use the palomar knot for everything!