Losing Knot Strength Over Time

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JPritch, Oct 30, 2009.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    How true is it that knots lose strength over time? Reason I ask is that I would love to pre-tie about 30 leaders to use through my peak fishing season which is through next spring. But don't want to do it if it is going to compromise line and/or knot strength as time goes on.

Opinions/thoughts?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Been doin it for years and have never had a problem. Its the route to go.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Same here. No problems to be had. I do keep them in small packages and place them all in a larger zip lock bag. Nothing else done.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I pretie also Josh, no problems yet! Main thing I think is keep them babies if mono away from moisture and direct sunlight. I think them two over time would possibly weaken the line and knot strength. rollo

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been doing "IT" for years too!:roll_eyes: Never had a problem, but got two kids somehow!!:smile2::wink: rollo

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I pre-tie leaders twice a year,never had a problem.I,d only do it once a year but I always lose twice as many as I figure on!:wink:

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I pre- tie also,
    I think they might be refering to a knot in use,,, A guide friend of mine taught me a while back if you catch a big fish you need to re-tie the knot due to the stress the fish puts on the knot,,,I try, but have lost fish becouse I did'nt do it,,:eek:oooh: But I think pre-tieng if fine,,,
    Puddle:wink:

8. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    is there a thread that shows the different kinds of knots and how to tie them properly?

9. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
  10. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Thanks John, i have been tieing the improved clinch all these years and did not know what it was called. Is the palamar knot for hooks and swivels?

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I second the palomar know :wink: easy easy

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use the palomar for everything except line to line connections,I use the double uni for that.:wink:

13. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Yup,,What Pat said:wink:
    I use it everywhere I can, we did a knot pulling contest at another fishing forum and the Palomar out pulled everything even a snelled knot to my supprise " it would fail where the line entered the snell" :big_smile:
    Puddle

14. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks guys, when i get off work i'm going home and retie all my rigs! practice makes close to perfect.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I just keep a good eye on mine , after 2-3 big fish and or I see a slight burr in my leaders I re-tie.

Earlier this yr I had one break at the hook on a huge fish I couldn't turn. It still had the half-moon shape in it where it wrapped around the hooks eye:confused2:..I think the hook stuck just inside the fishs lip and the teeth rubbed and cut the line.. That keep me checking more often now:wink:

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use the palomar knot for everything!