Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,463 Posts
I wouldn't give up I still enjoy the relaxation of fishing whether i am fishing or not. I have been Fishing around Goldsboro & Kinston on the Neuse and The Little River.
Use the internet maps and go exploring every weekend. Fishing is 95% where and 5% time.

· Registered
225 Posts
I would recommend changing your location and/or the time you fish first. If you fish in the same place over and over without a fish the problem might not be how you are fishing. Then I would play around with different tackle set ups. If you find you are getting little pesky bites, downsize. Play around using different bait sizes and hook combinations. Next i would mess with your rig. If you fish places with really muddy bottom, use a Santee Cooper Rig with any old bank sinker to keep your bait from getting partially buried in the mud etc. Then I would try different baits. Take at least a few different types of bait. Cutbait, dipbait, chicken livers, all work but a fish might be more enticed to bite on one over the other. Whatever you use, make sure it is fresh. Also if the area you are fishing only has small fish and you are using large cutbaits, you might be in for a frustrating outing. You need to match the bait to the area you fish.

Without knowing the specifics of where when and how you are fishing, I can only give you what I think is a priority of things to play with until you have a successful trip.

· Registered
127 Posts
I feel your pain brother. I have been fishing on the cape fear between avents ferry and the deep river hall river split. My last outing we had livers, secret 7, crickets, worms, cutbait, live bait all in the water and struck out completely. I am watching the advice the guys give you closely. Thanks for posting this and don't feel bad. I am proof you aren't the only USCA brother who is having trouble catching cats.

Papabear

· Registered
732 Posts
I wouldn't give up I still enjoy the relaxation of fishing whether i am fishing or not. I have been Fishing around Goldsboro & Kinston on the Neuse and The Little River.
without a doubt you are in good waters...fish may have been spawning or the weather was not conducive...

but we have landed some 30# and 40# from the goldsboro area and lost some bigger ones that we did not land...

one night me and my partner (about this time of year) caught a fish a cast...but the night was very short, we ran out of bait about 1:00 in the morning..

just get you some big bream...throw them in current breaks, or shallow flats and you wlll get one...

remember deep in the day/shallow in the night...not a law but a good rule of thumb to start...and by shallow i mean inches and not feet...

good luck!

· Registered
732 Posts
I feel your pain brother. I have been fishing on the cape fear between avents ferry and the deep river hall river split. My last outing we had livers, secret 7, crickets, worms, cutbait, live bait all in the water and struck out completely. I am watching the advice the guys give you closely. Thanks for posting this and don't feel bad. I am proof you aren't the only USCA brother who is having trouble catching cats.

Papabear
thats a good spot also...problem there...is limb lines have really hurt that area....fish are practically land locked...so they hard to replenish...

a guy on this web site awhile back limb lined a 50 plus pound flattie...think he ate it cant remeber..

go up below the spillway..(get some bream under the bridges) it gets shallow but the flats follow the bait up there...fish the blowdowns before you get to the rip rap..

be patient..they are there...

· Registered
127 Posts
thats a good spot also...problem there...is limb lines have really hurt that area....fish are practically land locked...so they hard to replenish...

a guy on this web site awhile back limb lined a 50 plus pound flattie...think he ate it cant remeber..

go up below the spillway..(get some bream under the bridges) it gets shallow but the flats follow the bait up there...fish the blowdowns before you get to the rip rap..

be patient..they are there...
Thanks,
I have fished up there before. I was just seeing if I could get the pontoon up there, but I did! I will go there the next time I am on the river.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.