Losing fish on barbless circle hooks..poor landing skills?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LadyValea1, Jul 26, 2007.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hi.. I've been using barbless circle hooks for channel catfish..but I think my playing skills and landing skills are poor, because I've been losing some of my fish right before I get them near the dock.

I do keep the line tight as I'm reeling in, I've been reeling in fast! and with the rod tip pointed up? I've hooked a freshwater drum and it seem to shake the hook out of his mouth.

So what do you think I'm doing wrong? do I reel in slow and with rod tip down or sideways? this always happens right before I land the fishy,:confused2: they smile at me and unhook themselves...

Thanks...

2. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i do not use barbless hooks, but if i was, i might reel in fast but to the side at an angle? :roll_eyes: i dont know but maybe :roll_eyes:

3. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Use hooks with barbs.

4. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    poor hook choice if you want a good chance of landing a fish.

5. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i figured she uses them for catch and release easier, but if she wants to land fish then barbs all the way

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Circlehooks are designed to only hook the fish in the corner of the mouth.Should be easy to release them.:0a23:

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I would go with barbed hooks. I bet your success rate would go up considerably.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As it was alluded to, I think she is a sportsman and is wanting to land the fish with the least amount of trauma to the fish. It's like some people use 4 lb test line to give the fish a chance. Can't blame her for wanting to increase her success rate though... I guess you will either need to go with a barbed hook or possibly try a barb less kahle hook. At any rate, and to quote an old phrase, YOU GO GIRL!!!!!

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hey folks, Take it easy on her, LOL!!!! She has taken CPR to a whole new level, LOL!!! She is using the early release program!!!J/K

Switch to barbed hooks, those barbless ones ain't worth squat for catching fish.

10. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Yep, I like the barbless hook to reduce the damage to the mouth and tissues of the fish when the hook is removed and increase its survival when released. "catch and release girl here" I've heard that a barbed hook requires harder hook sets but I like to use Circle hooks for self hookin...My problem is right when I'm about to bring the fishy up to the dock, the darn thing finds a way to jump off the hook! Should my rod tip be up or down...I always have a tight line..
    Plus, some lakes require barbless hooks...
    thanks

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    if you insist on using barbless hooks then i would think just keeping the rod up and the line tight as you can get it would work fine. but if not then i have no idea. i like my barbed hooks, i just smash the barb down if its to hard to get the hook out because of the barb.

12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    my sentiments exactly!

13. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    How abot, getting a landing net with a longer handle.