Losing battery power

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jrgriffhusker, Jun 30, 2009.

1. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Okay got my gas problem fixed. Now I went to the lake tonight to try it out after running it in my driveway last night. The only problem was my battery was dead. Damn!!!
    Since this isn't the first time it's happened I figure I had better ask around and find some answers
    How do I go about finding the battery drain?
    Or should I just put a kill switch on my positive cable to turn off after each trip out? If I do that though I'm worried about it dying when I do an all nighter out on the lake.
    Any help in either try to find the drain or a thought on the kill switch will be appreciated. Thanks

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    my suggestion would be to first, (before spending money on switch) is take battery in and get it checked. may have a bad cell in it. i've had batteries for a couple yrs suddenly go bad. found out cell went bad.
    gary

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You can use a 12 volt test light to find your problem. 1st take off the positive lead, then put the "clip" end of the test light on it, next take a hose clamp & pinch the probe end on the positive terminal of the battery. If there is a substantial external drain the test light will glow brightly. You can then disconnect each circuit 1 @ a time until the light goes out.

If it doesn't glow then I'd say the battery itself has problems. HTH, Elliot

4. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Okay I'll check it out this weekend. But how do I check to see if my motor is charging my battery when it's running. I asked Bubbakat but then saw his post about having some eye problems. So if I could get a clue on how to test for this that would be great.