Lose the Braid?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by One Legged Josh, Feb 16, 2009.

1. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think I'm going to strip off my braid on my flathead rods and switch to mono.
    My current setups are 7 foot white ugly-stik catfish models heavy action. With 50 pound Green spiderwire braid. The braid does not stretch and I see most of you use mono 20-30 pound for flats. One is spinning and the other is baitcasting. (Baitcaster casts like crap with the braid but the "nests" always pull out)
    I also have 2 med/heavy 7 foot black uglystick combos for channels with big shakespere casting reels. I get alot more runs on these rods. They have 20 pound big game on them.

What are your opinions on stripping off $35 worth of 1-2 year old braid and replacing it with mono. I use circles, and octopus J hooks. Looking for opinions guys!

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Couldnt hurt at all.

Overall more people will use mono V.S. braid for the cost savings.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'm about in the same boat with you,, Have some reels with some braid from 50 --80 lb..
    But, I think I will just use it up, however long it takes,,I have about as many reels with 30-50 lb, mono on them and have a tendancy to use those,,more,,I think I use the heavy stuff more when I "Think" I may get into a big one!!! LOL, but, 30# Mono has done everything I've ever needed...
    On casting the braid,, if you set up your tension, it shouldn't be a big deal with the rats nests...I have a hard time with a good technique ( As, I'm a Spaz)on the stuff, but, if I do what I'm supposed to do, I usually get the bait out where I want it, and no Major nest..My biggest thing, is I need to always remember to have a more sweeping cast if possible,, no sudden starts or stops,, I thumb the spool when the stuff hits the water, and 90% of the time, everything is ,, OK

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Josh I will give you my opinion.. If you solely fish river systems, and systems that consist of alot of logjams etc.. And aren't fishing straight down on the structure for flatheads, Use MONO!!!! People talk about stretch etc. affiliated with monos, but stretch isn't always bad.. Monos have been better for me over the years around structure. Now if you are gonna fish fairly shallow vertacle, likesaid earlier in strucure, I know some guys that don't want stretch, and want pure force to get them out of them areas. It has more to do with matching your tackle, Rod lengths, reels etc. to the situation.... If you only fish lakes, fish braid over mono.:wink:...rollo

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    great post rollo !!!!!:wink:

I like the stretch mono has for circle hooks , i have friends that have stiff rods with braid and seen time and time again on fast hard hitting bites usually blue cats them not hooking the fish with circle hooks , not letting the time needed to let the circle hooks do the magic .
    a soft tip rod would do better on theese kinds of hits with braid in my opinion , but most flatheads ive caught not all tho is a slow pull down and holding it , or them crushing the bait in and out for a few minutes and a soft tip rod with mono works the best for me with circle hooks .

heavy current ya gotta match the rod for the situation also ..

hard to have just 1 rod and line for all situations .. again just my opinion . and what i have learned works for me the best .

I like to mix things up if possible when flathead fishin with couple rods tight lining , couple on floats , and bait clickers are fun .

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    keep the braid and add some big game mono as a leader, that seems to work for me:wink:

7. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Josh, I think you got your moneys worth out of the braid, it's two years old! If you feel that it is hindering you in anyway then I say switch to mono. I've always gone with the idea that you have to believe in what your using. You know mind over matter. I have a go to bass bait that I know will catch fish, I will try other lures but always fall back on what I know works. I'd spool up an old reel with your braid. Put mono on your reels and try it out. If you have to or feel the need re-spool your reels with your braid. Good Luck, Tim

8. One Legged Josh

State:
    Ohio
    I mostly fish lakes and only carry 2 poles. BUT my in-laws live on the Ohio river and I have incredible access to some sandbar flatties. Im going to switch to some stout 20-30 pound mono and tie up some 3 way rigs for tight lining on the rivers/lakelogs. Thanks for the replies. Keep the opinions coming.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great choice on the switch.

I use mono for 2 reasons

1- stretch, I want my line to stretch, it saves me on a hard charging flathead at the bank.

2- abrasion resistance, mono has much more.

Price has nothing to do with it for me.

If mono was more expensive than braid I would still use mono.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Its just gonna come down to what you like. I use braid but P-pro only , but I also use mono. Both catch fish , one will not catch more than the other . If you had that line on for two years that sounds pretty darn good to me. Unless your breaking line on structure I would leave it. If you just don't have confidence in it I would change because I also believe that you need absolute faith in your tackle.

Tinker with your reel some more and the back-lashes will stop. I cast my c3 all night long and never nest it up, that's just a minor adjustment thing. As far as stretch, well IMO that's just a personal preference also. Between my rod tip, angle of the rod , and drag I don't have any hook up issues...off mono or braid. ( I use circles also )

In a nut shell , I wouldn't go changing because of what others use unless your having a problem. Some folks catch fish no matter what they use ; )~

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good pionts here you all.....JJ -Rollo-Scottey......
    Spider Wire and me do not get along...I find it tends to bunch in the reel and flatten down....Good mono is just as effective & better in my opionn then spider wire...now yer PP is good braid and a different ball "o" wax......:roll_eyes:...

12. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    In most rivers there is alot of snags, especially with fishing on the bottem, just buy you a good real and put some good mono on it. The braided line is such a hastle when you get snagged....RAT

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can say that again. I can't believe some of the stuff I pulled up when I was using braided line, and these were not fish. One time I caught a stick that turned out to be the better portion of a small tree and the entire thing came up to the boat ... eventually. On one hand that shows just how strong braided line is on the other hand in certain snags you are basically forced to cut your line. I learned that using a mono leader can save a lot of grief on snags. I prefer 20LB test mono myself. I have had luck with Berkley big game.

14. One Legged Josh

State:
    Ohio
    On the monster spinning reel, The spiderwire has always been ok. I'm just diving into the baitcaster world, and The braid is flattening out and nesting up (even after I have adjusted for the weight of the rig).
    BTW the baitcaster reel is an okuma halogen (biggun). I know I shouldnt expect to cast this setup as far as a spinning reel, but I was immediately dissapointed with the reel/line combo. That is the main reason for a change. Im going to leave the braid on the spinner and switch the okuma to mono---just to give it a shot............Thanks guys.

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Josh once you get it right you can cast as far and farther sometimes

16. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I started out last year using all Power pro braid and within a month I lost alot of good fish due to rocks and rock ledges. I switched to Berkley Big game mono and have had no problems since. If your not fishing in open water out of a boat I suggest mono. I use 25# on my 6500 abus and 40# on my 7000s. I also had a old cast net that I tore up so Im using the line off of it for Leader material. Its some stout stuff.

17. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Josh, it sounds like you've already made up your mind to switch. Until you strip it all off and change it, you'll be second guessing yourself. Every fish you lose and every fish you didn't get on, you'll be blaming it on the braid. In the back of your mind you will be questioning yourself why you didn't change it. If you change it now, you will have a positive outlook the next time you go fishing and you won't have any problems with braid.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I switched over from braid to mono 3 years ago and haven't used that stuff since!

Good move!

19. One Legged Josh

State:
    Ohio
    Already in the works brother, Thanks to everone for the advise!

20. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I prefer P-pro braided but I know the areas I fish very well. I have extreme confidence with it when pulling in big flatheads in the river. I would just use what you feel confident with. I re-string poles every year becasue you never know when your going to hook into the Big One.