Lorance 520C help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by chuck7700, May 10, 2008.

1. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    I just bought this unit and I can't get the silly GPS unit to work. Can any one help me please!!!!:0a35:

2. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    May be a dumb question but you are trying this outside and not in a shop aren't you? Antennae placement usually causes most grief.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chuck, tell us more; did you install the unit yourself? If so, go back and read the installation instructions carefully. You must have two sources of power, on for the sonar, and one for the gps. This is a pretty common installation error. The antenna needs only to have a good clear view of the sky, although fabric such as a canvas top usually won't give a problem. Mount it as high on the boat as you can. Give us a little more info, please.

4. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Blackwaterkatz is right. The unit powers up form the cable with red, black and white wires. Your nmea equipment is powered up with the cable that has the red, black and shield wires, such as your gps. Try that and see if it helps.

5. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    I finally got this silly thing working. It was the gps external antenna. They gave me a replacement and IT FINALLY WORKS!!! Thanks for all your advice and help.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    glad to hear you got it working, Chuck. Fast, too. I've seen a couple or three modules that were bad right out of the box, but in every case, they were replaced pretty quickly by Lowrance.