Loosin' interest fast! HELP

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW JERSEY TALK' started by maxman29, May 21, 2008.

1. maxman29

maxman29 New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Ive been catfishing numerous times and have been goose egged evey time. I live in central Jersey, Ocean county. Anyone know good spots around my area. I know assunpink is supposed to be good but where. Ive hit at least half that lake. Thanks:embarassed:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome from a fellow Joisy boy. LOL! I spend all my time on the Delaware and Maurice rivers. Good cattin just gotta learn the water. Theres plenty of it and plenty of fish. Never done much if any lake fishin for cats around here. Always found it to be pretty much a waste of time. LOL! Plenty of good feeder creeks on the delaware that are productive. Get out on the river. Ya won't be dissappointed.:wink:

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brother maxman29, I do not know your waters that you fish, but I will share this with you. First, I would listen to what Big George told you. Second, we all started off just like you with little or no success.

You have started off right by joining the BOC and asking questions. You will find out that the more you fish and talk to others, the more success you will have. Read all you can on the BOC and elsewhere about catfishing, talk to the people at the bait shop that you get your supplies from, try to arrange to go cattin' with someone in your area.

You can visit the first section of this forum 'Catfish Publications' and gather tons of information to assist you. I have my own section there and it is call 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University' and most likely you will find something there to help you in your endeavors. Mac

4. Moparornocar

Moparornocar New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey where in Ocean county are you? Im in toms river. Ive found bullheads a few places and a white cat at forge pond in brick but thats aobut it. Mfreind did pull a 10 lb channel out of assipunk last year and 2 or 3 years ago there was a 32 pound channel at shenedoah. I think right now they are spawning because we went out the other day to our "spot" where we usually slam 'em and we got skunked. Hit assipunk that day too and all we came up with was one decent sized yellow bull head

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Welcome to the boc Joisy boys!!!!!

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Are ya land bound or do ya have a boat? Welcome aboard!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dave Welcome to the BOC from Illinois. Not familiar with the waters in your area but would suggest you listen to Big George. He will stir you straight.

8. Moparornocar

Moparornocar New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Im land bound :( but i am getting a canoe soon not a real boat but its better then nothing

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Dave ,Hang in there

10. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    we all started off just like you with little or no success.

Don't give up just keep pluggin'!!:big_smile: i was the same way you was but when i got some pointers from the guys from the brotherhood and put them to work and LEARNED it myself guess what it worked!!:big_smile::big_smile: I was next to quitting and I'm sure glad i didn't know I can catch them with the best of'em!! The way i did it was i started small. Working with smaller channels and smaller blues, because the are in our lakes by the thousands (everywhere). I kept a diary from bite to bite day to day and fishing trip to fishing trip. i wrote down everything from water temp, weather conditions, locations, what i used as bait, time, what i caught, and anything else you can think of. then after I had a grasp on the technique then i started bugging the #%&*$@ out of the guys on here and reading in out libary here on BOC and i started putting two and two togather and I finally got it. I'm not the best catfisherman on here or in my area BUT I can compete in tournaments now and have a wonderful time when I'm just fishing!! I learned where to look for the bigguns' at and how to catch them. Oh by the way the diary thing, really do this. I know it sopunds like this is kinda wierd but you will be suprised how often you can refer to it and learn from it. Now after you do this for a while then you have a reference guide to refer to and what else are you going to do at 2 o'clock in the morning waiting on the cats to bite. I hope this helps and good luck. If you need anything all you have to do is ask anybody on this site and I'm sure they will help you including myself. DON'T QUIT!!!!:angry::embarassed::big_smile::wink:

11. maxman29

maxman29 New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    where in assunpink did u manage that one. i was told dont bother unless u got a boat. Im in Jackson. I went tonight and caught a small 2lb blue outta the OCC pond. Thank you all for ur words of wisdom, encouragement and help i really appreciate it.

12. Moparornocar

Moparornocar New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    you got a cat in occ? nice i heard they werent getting them their recently. I wasnt with him at assipunk when he caught the cahnnel but he was in a boat. But you can get NICE bull head sthere off of the dock and im sure channels too

13. maxman29

maxman29 New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    yea hit a hot dog after like fifteen min. what do u find works better in jersey night or day? and just a question do u happen to know a guy named Jer in Jackson?

14. maxman29

maxman29 New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Well that makes my total catfish count three. Caught two more channels at the OCC Pond one of which snapped line right before landing. Both were only bout 2-2 1/2lbs but its a start. Missed a big one, snapped pole:crazy::angry: but ill get em. Thanks to all that offered help. Anyone ever needs Bass info thats one fish im 100% confident with and can catch any day.

15. Moparornocar

Moparornocar New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    haha ye ai know Jer lived with him out at uti. You got channels in occ? i thought only bullheads were in there sweet So far ive had better luck at night I usually fish nightcrawlers on the bottom ive relativly new to cats myself and freshwater altogether. Forge pond ive had cats hit during the day. Theyve got white cats in there and channels to i think along with the bull heads. I havent been out for cats in a few weeks ive been on a salt water binge with all these stripers and blues around

16. maxman29

maxman29 New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    haha thats funny as hell jer is my boy i see him like every other day. we gettin a few cats here and there. got alot of runs last night. prob goin again tonight wit livers this time.

17. Moparornocar

Moparornocar New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    let us know how you do with the livers im thinking of trying there one day next week. This sunday im going out with my gf's brother inlaw to some lake out route 70 somewhere thats stocked with channels he had em hitting up to 16 lbs the other night ill let you know how it is and how to get there also i suggets you try forge pond oin route 70 in brick

18. maxman29

maxman29 New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    ok im prob not goin back to occ at night. call me a sissy if u want but my buddy pulled up a 3lb eel that freaked us all out, and it being night didnt help, then watched a 5-6ft water mockison(SP) swim out of where we been washing our hands!:crazy::eek:oooh: after we watched 4 cops go flyin by code 3(lights and sirens) that was enough for us on friday the 13th. is forge worth it w/o a boat?

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I depended on lakes to catch catfish I would have gave up 20 years ago.

If you have any rivers or creeks in your area give them a shot.

For me rivers are much eaiser to find and catch catfish

20. maxman29

maxman29 New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    so i have heard, but being stuck on shore and the only major cat river i know of being the deleware which is a nice travel, im kinda forced to hit the lakes. and im havin a hard enough time with catching em in lakes, river id think be harder?