Loose throttle

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by playinghooky, Apr 14, 2006.

1. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    when i push my throtle down to go faster than idle then i let go of it it comes back up and throtles down.please help before i get whiplash lol

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Would you care to share just a little more information?

Make & age of the control box would be a big plus.

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning, I'm Not A Marine Mechanic But My Throttle control Box Has A Black Knob On The Front Side That You Twist To Make The Throttle Stiffer Or Looser, Take A Look Maybe Your's Is The Same :rolleyes: . It Will Be An Easy Fix If So.

Have A Good Day, Elliot

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    God morning Elliot. Not being a marine mechanic means nothing if you've got some good input.

I'm just trying to incourage Dan to provide just a little more information, so he can be given a complete answer pertaining to his issue.

C'mon Dan you can do it:thumbsup:

5. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sorry it took so long been working its a mer control that goes to a 76 80hp mercury outboard its original controler thanks for any help i couldnt find serial number

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Alright Dan, that's what we needed.

Some boxes don't have any way to increase the tension on the throttle lever.

Some are obvious knobs like Elliot's.

Others have a way to adjust with a screw driver.

I'll get to the shop tomorrow and find out if yours has an adjustment, unless Bubba can help you out first.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    My books don't show a friction screw on those control boxes but there has to be a way to control them and I will try to help bob find it.

8. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks guys it is such a pain the way it is now

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Alright, I found one and hope its the right one. Behind the outside plate of the control box. You have to remove the shift handle and the out side cover and move the throttle and you should see a square like plate with some holes in it. There should be two screws in it and the one closest to the out side should be your friction screw.
    One is a dent screw and the other is a friction screw.

Tighten the friction screw a little at a time and see if your throttle will tighten up.
    If the friction bushing is worn out then it will have to be replaced.

If you have trouble with this I can send you a sort of a diagram of it. or go take mine apart and take some pictures of it.

10. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    my next day off work ill look at it sounds like it might work and something i can fix which is always good with my budget lol
    thanks

11. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i havent been able to look at that yet i cant reach the nuts on the back pannel that have it mounted to the side of boat.i have friend said he can get it from wall for me when he stops by